The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Vacuum line removal

Hey guys, decided to cut back on the vacuum lines. Used the Taboo diagram but I just need a little clarification on a few things.

Trying to figure out what this is. Is it the "Thermal Vacuum Valve"?
IMG_20101230_104834.jpg

Also not 100% what this is
IMG_20101230_104903.jpg

Do I need to cap off the charcoal canister?
IMG_20101230_104919.jpg

Lastly, not 100% what this is. My only guess is the "Fuel Pressure Solenoid"
IMG_20101230_104820.jpg

Barnes

1)The thing you are holding appears to be the fuel pressure solenoid. It bumps up fuel pressure on hot starts. Lot of folks remove it and have zero problems.

2)The white thing with nipples is a thermovalve for your EGR. No idea if you even have an EGR still, so it might not be needed.

3)That appears to be the purge valve on your evaporation emissions canister. That nipple should be hooked up somehow to the solenoid in pic 4.

4)This is the evaporative emissions solenoid. When it activates it purges the evap canister into the intake. It isn't uncommon for people to remove this. But there is really no reason to.

TylerAdamson

First Picture - Looks like boost control solenoid.
Second Picture - Not sure what you're looking at, but the wiring is your o2 sensor. If you're referring to the vacuum port with the 2 barbs, just loop them.
Third Picture - I'd just eliminate the canister.
Fourth Picture - Just emissions bs, remove it.

Terry Posten

I made this quite a while ago. It shows all you need to have unless you live in a commie state.

If you don't have the vac/pressure port off the turbo housing, you can t-tap the line to the BOV for the WG.

Barnes

Quoting TylerAdamson:
First Picture - Looks like boost control solenoid.
Second Picture - Not sure what you're looking at, but the wiring is your o2 sensor. If you're referring to the vacuum port with the 2 barbs, just loop them.
Third Picture - I'd just eliminate the canister.
Fourth Picture - Just emissions bs, remove it.

You don't need to loop the two nipples on the thermoswitch. They don't actually go to anything if both are disconnected.

Also, the solenoid in the first pic is probably the fuel pressure solenoid because of A)It's position and B)The fact it has a vent cap which the boost control solenoid does not use.

TylerAdamson

Barnes, since when is the fuel pressure solenoid located on the passengers side fender(main reason I suggested boost control solenoid)?

Just gonna touch on that diagram real quick. The diagram from Taboo shows a T-fitting for the boost controller on the intake/wastegate. Any real difference having it between the turbo/wastegate as opposed to how I have it right now?

Still have my EGR at the moment, but I have it closed loop where the nipples are looped together by the same line

Last edited by a moderator:

dmj

Barnes is 100% right. I followed the line from the fpr and it ended on the solenoid bolted to the factory air can on the passenger side fender.

TylerAdamson

I stand corrected then. I assumed it was mounted on the firewall in a similar fashion to the 1g/2g DSM.

Barnes

It's kinda weird the way they did it versus the DSM. If you look at our intake manifold brackets you'll notice little tubes welded to the bracket. The vacuum line goes from the fuel pressure solenoid on the passenger side, to the tubes on the intake manifold bracket under the manifold, then two vacuum lines pop up on the driver side and attach to the intake manifold nipple, and the FPR.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts