The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Broken Clutch Fork

BoostedAWD91

My Clutch Fork broke clear in half last night which im kinda really unsure on how it even happened. Was driving around the car for for a few hours and was just creeping around a bend at like 10mph and pushed the clutch in and snap. My one question is what all could possibly cause this to snap so easily besides just a weak fork?

Terry Posten

The fork has been redesigned so get a newer fork. It usually breaks where the ball pivots. It wears if not greased.

Make sure you get a new pivot ball as well.

BoostedAWD91

It broke 2" through the boot. I just wanna make sure there couldn't be any other reasons this happened so it doesn't happen again

Muskrat

Heavier than stock clutch (or even stock) + lots of cyclic loading + time and corrosion = fatigue failure.

Was it the original fork, as far as you know?

SleepinGVR4

I don't think Chris has replaced the fork in his car so it very well could be.

I had mine break too, not to long ago Chris. It broke at the pivot ball just like yours probably did.

agreed with previous posters. Don't worry too much about it, just replace it. Improved design should hold up fine. Make sure to keep the pivot ball greased as well.

bazeng

What does the revised one look like?

I've never sweden one before... I think... They all looked the same..

iLLeffeKt vr-4

My clutch fork broke on my 91 eclipse gsx few days after I put on the ACT2600. At the time I went with a Taboo Racing fork. Good luck finding one now. The revised fork should be ok for you.

Here's what the Taboo racing one looks like:

clutchforks.jpg

bazeng

Wow nice!

Lucky in my case on the vr4 and amg, they are both running twin plateswith lighter than stock pressure plate pressures .

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned