The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Engine build help

ducttapeguy

So the engine Im having built was bored 20 over when I told the guy that Im getting pistons that are 10 over. Im being told that I can still use the 10 over pistons but need to use bigger rings. Is this even possible? It doesnt seem like itwould be a good idea even if it works. Can anyone help me out on this?

Jesh

Bad bad bad idea... bigger rings are designed for bigger pistons, so they wouldn't even fit on your current pistons. Not to mention that the pistons would slap like crazy and the car would never start because you would have no compression. Any sane engine builder would never even consider doing something like this. My suggestion... take your business someplace else.

cheekychimp

Quoting ducttapeguy:
So the engine I'm having built was bored 20 over when I told the guy that I'm getting pistons that are 10 over. I'm being told that I can still use the 10 over pistons but need to use bigger rings. Is this even possible? It doesn't seem like it would be a good idea even if it works. Can anyone help me out on this?

Personally I'd tell the engine builder to compensate me new pistons to fit his mistake in over boring the cylinders OR get me another block of equivalent quality that can be bored to 10 over. THEN I would go elsewhere!

ducttapeguy

Yeah, Im about at my wits end. This has been headache after headache. Guy gets one last chance. Then I will get angry and get sh*t fixed. Thanks for the info. I figured it wouldnt work, but I wanted to consult the experts here.

Just to be sure, the pistons you were going to use were 0.010 of an inch over, right?, not 1.0 mm over? If the pistons are 1.0 mm over than the block is fine, just needs more cut out of the cylinders. But if its 0.010" pistons, yeah you need listen to all ^^^^^.

GVR-4

Most machine shops will require the pistons when they machine the bores. You really need to actually measure the pistons and add the recommended piston to wall clearance to determine what the bores need to be machined to.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned