The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Cruise Control INSTALL?

JDM_DSM

Does anyone know how feasible it would be to install the cruise control in a vehicle that never had it? It seems to me that I should be able to get the hardware from a DSM or another Galant and it would just be a matter of tapping in to some of the ECU/dash wires for the brain, and making some custom switches to operate it.
Anyone ever attempted such a project? Or could even tell me what parts I would need from inside the donor car?

Adorsey

In a Galant vr4 correct?

If so..... I have a cruise control setup I will sell you. Just need the fire wall bolts to attach it.

misterfixit

You need a couple of sensors and the brain, its not that difficult to do. biggest problem is the stalks. If you have those its fairly easy to fit. Is the car EFI? is it a manual or auto? Auto will only need a 2 channel brakelight switch, if its a manual you need a clutch switch. There are two types of cruise fitted to the galant, electric actuator version (up to 90) and the pnuematic version (after 90). there are also two types of stalk for the cruise switch (early, 2 positions) late (rebounds to 1 position).

Both versions of the stalk will work with both cruise setups. the pneumatic and the elecric ones have different computers and they also have quite different wiring schematics, so best to make sure all the kit is compatible. have a look and see you might be lucky and already have the wiring on the car (some higher spec cars came ready to be optioned with cruise) if you have, get the matching system. if not I'd recommend the electric one, its lighter and more reliable (no air leaks), plus a few fewer wires to put in.

my $0.43

Hope this helps,

Rich

JDM_DSM

Sorry for not mentioning it. The car is an '89 JDM VR-4. (EFI, manual)

That's a good point about checking if the car is pre-wired for cruise. From looking at the service manual wiring schematics it looks like the cruise control module sits somewhere above the fuse box under the dash and has a 26 pin harness plugged into it. So should I just be looking for a 26 pin harness not plugged into anything?

As for the 2 different designs, a friend of mine who used to own a 2000GTX told me that the one style of cruise cable meant you were moving the whole cruise control motor when you moved the gas pedal, which made the pedal feel heavy and sluggish, and the other type is set up so that the gas pedal isn't affected by the cruise control system. I'm guessing the all electrical setup is the sluggish one, because I was looking at a Talon (I think it was a '92) with the vacuum setup at the junkyard the other day and it seemed like the cruise pulleys were designed so that the pedal feel wouldn't be affected.

JDM_DSM

Quoting Adorsey:
In a Galant vr4 correct?

If so..... I have a cruise control setup I will sell you. Just need the fire wall bolts to attach it.

How much do you want for that shipped to Canada? (T2Y 2V8)

raptorWagon

Quoting JDM_DSM:
I'm guessing the all electrical setup is the sluggish one, because I was looking at a Talon (I think it was a '92) with the vacuum setup at the junkyard the other day and it seemed like the cruise pulleys were designed so that the pedal feel wouldn't be affected.

There was definitely a difference in pedal feel when I removed the cruise control from 1350 (pulley setup). The pedal is much lighter now than it was before, took me a bit to get used to the difference.

misterfixit

The cruise box won't already be connected, but the connector maybe taped off on the loom near where the box goes. The mixer pulley is very similar on both systems, just the vac setup its seperate from the piston and cable. the electric setup its on the end of the actuator. if it's sluggish tear it down and regrease it. 20 years and all the light fractions f the grease will be long gone, just leaving grease toffee!

Might find it easier to check on the firewall, the other one you'll need to check is if the speed sensor reed switch is in the speedo head.

Rich

Ali_6306

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to find parts and install Cruise Control in my Mitsubishi Galant 1988. The vehicle is RHD and pre-wired for Cruise Control. I have located the 20pin grip near the ETACS. And a non-utilized 4 pin grip on the firewal in engine bay (near brake booster). Also purchased the dual brake switch today.

After plenty of searching I was able to locate the part number for Cruise Control unit (MB 488441). It is not available on ebay, but similar units (with 20 pins) and part number MB571958 , MB571660 or MB686910 are available. These are off Sigma / Eclipse. Can some one please confirm if the later would serve the purpose?

Another thing I need help with is to get a suitable Cruise Control actuator. It appears there are different actuators for LHD and RHD vehicles. Mine is a RHD. Does anyone know the part number? Secondly, will anyone of the following Mitsubishi actuators available on ebay work well with MB 488441, MB 571958, MB571660 or MB686910:

a. 95 Galant ES cruise control actuator unit motor
b. 93 Mitsubishi 3000GT Non Turbo Cruise Control unit
c. Talon Laser Eclipse 1g actuator module
d. 1992 Montero Cruise Control Throttle Cable (for V6 3.0)
e. Cruise Control Servo - 1997 Galant 2.4L
f. 93 Mitsubishi 3000GT / Stealth Cruise Control Unit

Regards,

Ali

misterfixit

This is probably not the answer you are hoping for, but there is a little research you'll need to do.

There are multiple configurations of the cruise. best bet is to get an electric setup from a member in the US (Brain, firewall bracket, the whole shabang) The switches from the UK (Rhd is the opposite way around) and make the throttle cable yourself from a spare one.
You'll need a helpfull member to pull one off an 1988 or 89 non tubo car. The only cable you can't use is from the mixer to the firewall, but make sure they cut it and give you the mixer end fitting.

The Brain has 2 versions on the galant (electric or air) the actuator setup has two versions (electric or air), They must match. The switches on Galants come in two flavours. OFF -> ON or Latch type. They will both work with both types of system for the Galant E30 Series.

Now Mitsubishi are fun because they decided that cruise should be complex across the range. The E30 Galants are signalled by plain switching. The Pajero Sigma etc have resistance switching (single line multiple voltages.) these brains and switches are also interchangable but not with the E30 Galant setup.

It looks like your Talon listed brain might work, but it's only half the picture.
I would steer clear of the mixers listed too. There is at least one air setup in that lot.

USDM, JDM EDM brains will all be the same characteristics, but if you have JDM wiring it will only work up to 68mph (I think the yank setup may be the same too). This will be because the brain has only a single ground. In the european setup there is a second ground which triggers the cruise to work up to some silly number. I only discovered this when I exchanged the loom in my car and it would no longer cruise at 80!!!

Electric cruise won't work below 28mph and the air not below 24mph.

Hope this helps.

Rich

misterfixit

Link removed

My bad they were not cruise,

Rich

Last edited:

HunterDG

Found this thread in a search for +throttle +cable - funny it has just been revived - now i won't get flamed for bringing it back from the dead.

My car sat for many years, and amongst the various harnesses/connectors that rodents chewed off, my cruise>throttle cable was also damaged. I've searched all around and can only find NON-cruise throttle cables available. I would very much like to keep my cruise.

Anybody know the part number for the cruise>throttle cable? Please please please!

JDM_DSM

If you send me your VIN I can look up the P/N in ASA for you.

G

Staff member

G

Staff member
Last edited:

HunterDG

is this it: MB697204?

JDM_DSM

Yeah, MB697204 is what I came up with. It's the one highlighted in pink that you need, right?

HunterDG

yessir! i broke down and installed ASA on an XP VM. thanks!!!!

Ali_6306

Hi Rich & G,

Thanks for all the info. You are right that the controller must match the actuator. I would prefer to utilize original wiring and get Mitsubishi parts. However this will be a last attempt to bring clarity before I resort to aftermarket alternatives.

For actuators, there are 2 options, i.e. as you specified, vacuum based or electronic. And there are part numbers for each sub component (please refer to the links below). Is there not a single part number for complete actuator with all its sub components because arranging for all sub components will be a nightmare!

The info I found on the web is conflicting. Both for E33A-SRGM 2:
a. MB488441
b. MB539368
This is further getting me to think about aftermarket option.

Of the after market ones there is two options:
a. Rostra (posted by G)
b. Some German universal kit (can't find the name now). Model is something like MS-50

I hope both universal kits will allow me to use stock cruise control switch next to the windshield wiper control. Will appreciate if you can recommend and help me make a final decision.

Cheers,

Ali

misterfixit

I will check out the numbers later and post them up.. the year breaks is what you need to pay attention to.

I understand the want to use original parts. As for the cable, don't worry you can hyrid a LHD cruise cabe and a RHD non cruise cable.

Aftermarket would hurt my hea and I can't understand why the king of "it's not original" would be a proponent of an aftermarket setup /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hold on a bit and I'll post back before the end of tomorrow.

Rich

Ali_6306

Lol@ king of "it's not original" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Waiting anxiously. Thanks for taking out time!

Regards,

Ali

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts