The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Flex Pipe? OEM?

citymunky

So over the last week, I notice I had a exhaust leak getting louder and louder. Today I jacked the car up and found this.

First of all, it this even a OEM downpipe? Most AWD 1g DSM downpipes I seen have a braided wire flex pipe. I want to repair this, because I don't have the funds now to replace it. I was thinking I could cut the old flex pipe out, and re-weld a one on. One of the major problems is that the flex pipe is 10" long. in either case

DSC00698.jpg

DSC00697.jpg

DSC00696.jpg

Last edited:

SouthCaliVR4

Looks as though someone already replaced the flex pipe & used some of the crap universal flex pipe stuff to do it. you could just weld the end back on for now & replace the pipe when funds allow.

citymunky

I think I'm goin to replace the whole down pipe. Does Pacesetter make a good downpipe?

EDIT: I just got a 3" Pacesetter Downpipe for 89-94 Eclipse with stock Turbo AWD, Part # 82-1508 for $85 shipped. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
eBay

Time to throw away my 2.5" POS downpipe.

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I saw those pacesetter ones for clearance on ebay last night.

citymunky

It was to good of a deal to pass up. I was just going to get a replacement 10" long 2.5" diameter flex pipe, but at $40 shipped from eBay($65 at a locally exhaust shop) plus $40 to weld it in, I just got the downpipe. It was only a few bucks more than the cheap eBay made in China Downpipes. The MSRP is a good $100 more than Magan Racing.

citymunky

So the Pacesetter 3" downpipe has been installed for about a week now, and for $80 it was a good upgrade. The turbo spools much faster than before (like it should). It was kind of a PITA to install because it's 3" starting at the O2 housing flange. With 19mm bolts, I couldn't get a socket on the bolt head to tight the bolts. I would have used a crow's foot, but I didn't have 19mm only a 18mm and a 20mm. The only part if the downpipe that sucks is the exhaust clamp that connects the downpipe to the pipe that bolts up to the cat. I have a very slight exhaust leak from it, but I will get that weld later down the road. I don't want to remove and reinstall the downpipe any time soon.

KiNgMaRtY

Did you happen to get any shots of it before the install? How did the quality of it look? Just wondering as you may know, Pasesetter has the Paceshitter rep in the DSM world do to their headers cracking but I don't really see how the dp is as I can't says I have seen may use it. Which did you get? 1g or 2g? Did it not have a flange to the part going to the catback?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I just bought one of these, and it should be here this week. I usually don't like Pacesetter stuff either, but I figure trying a $299 pipe (yeah, right...) for $85 is worth a shot, since I want one that can connect to the cat.

It is supposed to come with a flange you can add or use with a custom setup.

KiNgMaRtY

Pictures and measurements. Did you buy a 1g AWD as well? Thinking of buying the 2g AWD but want to make sure the rear does not tapper down.

citymunky

Here a picture of my Pacesetter 3" DP vs my crappy 2.5" DP. Since my aftermarket cat has a 3 bolt flange, I had to cut it off the old downpipe and weld it in place of the 2 bolt flange pipe it came with the DP. Than I used the exhaust clamp to "connect" both pipes together(very small exhaust leak), later down the road, I'm going to weld the 2 pipes together.

Last edited:

citymunky

^What?^ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

talontyme

I was under the assumption that the correct setup was 2g awd downpipe to 1g awd catback with a long test pipe,so as such I ordered a megan 2g awd downpipe and i'm having a v-band clamp replace the 2 bolt flange and a custom 12 gauge aluminun catback to a vibrant stealth twin tip muffler which will be v-banded also.

citymunky

Well the 1g AWD fits. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

AnotherNewb

Quoting talontyme:
I was under the assumption that the correct setup was 2g awd downpipe to 1g awd catback with a long test pipe,so as such I ordered a megan 2g awd downpipe and i'm having a v-band clamp replace the 2 bolt flange and a custom 12 gauge aluminun catback to a vibrant stealth twin tip muffler which will be v-banded also.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Nice. A similar set up is going on 1947. Instead of a test pipe, its getting a stainless 18" resonator with a vibrant twin tip.

I ordered the 2g pacesetter, and it came with all the pieces needed to run it with or without a cat. I have pics of it right out of the box if anyone needs, I can send them. It's a nice piece. The vibrant components look like pure sex! Very nice! Can't wait to here it rumble out of the dual tip. We went with prt#1043 dual tip, 3" inlet, dual 3.5 outlet.

Last edited by a moderator:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Installed my 1g AWD pacesetter pipe this weekend, and I am certainly glad I did not have to pay anywhere near the suggested former retail price for this. Fits stock flanges as they say, but as also mentioned above, it is almost impossible to get a socket on the nuts for the O2 housing bolt-up. I had to find smaller nuts (17 mm head vs. stock 19 mm head) to get a tool on them. It necks down to fit, but not nearly far enough for proper nut and tool clearance.
The nuts hit the weld also when you torque them down. I will likely remove this later when it is warmer and address these issues.

As for the other end, it comes with a slip-fit adapter to bolt to the stock cat if you so choose. Unfortunately, the band clamp that is supposed to join the adapter and the pipe leaks terribly when slipped over the tightened. I can see the exhaust coming out of the forward end of the joint. Going to have to come up with something to seal that.

citymunky

^ I use a 19" crow's foot.
product_34051.JPG

Also there is a thread around here were somebody used cheap Tuner lugs like this
detail_378_c6207.jpg

My bolt heads are not hitting my welds, but the fact that it doesn't really neck down is a plus for me even if it's a PITA to install. As far as the gay slip-fit, I tighten it bolts with a 2 foot breaker bar. I have a slight leak like a said before, but I'm just going to weld the 2 pipes together.

At the end of the day I only paid under $90 for it, I'm not worried about the welds cracking on me. IMO the welds are petty good. The pipe is thick, not no cheap 20 thousandths eBay pipe here. It would have cost my $90 in parts and labor if I was going to replace just the flex pipe on my shitty 2.5" downpipe anyway. It's will cost me a $15 to $20 to have both pipes welded together.

Last edited:

AnotherNewb

What o2 housing is being used? Stock 1g, 2g, tubular? Was the flange of the stock outlet, if used, large enouge to get a good seal on the inlet of the down pipe?

Here is a question thats kinda out there and off topic, just a little. I know that the 2g exhaust manifold is better than a 1g, but does the same hold true on the o2 housings? I just ask because I have a couple of 1gs, 2g, and the one off of the vr4 not sure if its different than a 1g, never looked. I ask because the o2 sensor is in a different position on the 2g housing and is kinda close to the PS pump. If it didn't matter, I would put the VR4 one back on.

SouthCaliVR4

If you hit it with a dremel & open it up the 1g will flow quite well, I may not be recalling this correctly but I think you can open up the 1g more than the 2g.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts