The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Datalogger via android phone?

Lonewolf64

Does anyone know if there is an app out there to let me datalog via my android phone? It has a USB port so presumably it would be just as easy to hook up as a laptop (just use a USB to serial cable), but before I start getting excited I would need to find out about the app.

Is anyone either interested in writing an application (like MMCD) for the android, or know of one that is already out?

Last edited:

jepherz

Staff member
I had interest for a while. I made a stand-alone LCD display that interfaced with the ECU and would output anything that the logger could. I guess my idea was to have it permanently attached somewhere and anytime you had a CEL show up, you would just look down and see what the problem was. That, or any time you were debugging real-time you could see any of those values.

The problem with even interfacing with a modern day device is the crappy baud rate that the Mitsubishi ECUs communicate with. It is so slow that most hardware these days can't talk with it. Usually you end up using software to set the baud rate correctly.

I don't know of any program out there already, but with how antiquated the technology is, you probably can't expect to.

14u2nV

Yeah, I've still been waiting for someone to get Rev on my iphone to work with our cars. no such luck

citymunky

It would be cool to have a datalogger on my phone. ....oh well.

Lonewolf64

click
I found this. It looks like it bluetooths to a computer that is hooked up via serial cable to the car. I'm not sure what the use of this is...I was looking to cut out the middle man (PC or palm).

citymunky

I downloaded it to my phone. But wondering how to use the app.

Edit: I just e-mailed the app writer to see what else is need for this to work. I'll update the thread if he replieds back.

Last edited:

Memphetic

click
click
click

There ya go, plenty of reading. Start on 3SI, since that's my family /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Most questions you have should be answered therein - if not, post a reply. Cheers!

Memphetic

It has been released as a sort of "preorder" so that the progress can still be followed. Updates are - and will always be - free. It is, however, very functional right now. Thanks to those who have been following and support this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif You can find it in the app market by searching for "MMCdroid"

Total cost is DEFINITELY under $100 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Hardware out soon!!!

Wow... I can't believe I never knew anything about this. I've gone through 2 different palms that have completely taken a dump on me, so I've just gone without for a while. At least I know I'll always need a cell phone so it'd be worth buying again if it took a crap! (which is much more unlikely than an ancient palm device going bad)

As soon as I can get the hardware, I'll get it all!
You should definitely be able to bank a good amount and make this completely worthwhile on your end. I know I appreciate it!

chrisfullwood

i posted on that link to pre-order the hardware, This is awesome, i cant wait for the hardware to be available... i never had luck with palms at all, so this awesome.

I'm all over this for 1870.

Hope you guys look in the hybrid 3s or odb2's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif thanks!!!!!!

Memphetic

click

Android has added a web interface to their market.

Hybrid is coming soon. My car got hit and so I'm putting my engine into a 2g within the next couple of weeks.

Ralli380Gvr4

What's the progress of the hardware being available? I want this.

jnava

Staff member
I dunno what snag happened but when he said he would have the sending units ready in two weeks, i was ready to buy but he kept saying that it wasn't ready. That was at least 3 or four months ago. He had a waiting list of people to buy it but he stopped responding. I'm going to dig up his emails and send another one and see if there has been any progress.

chrisfullwood

yea i signed up for it too, but now i'm buying another stinking palm, cause i cant just keep guessing my timing, and all the other things i need to know, to see if my car is going to explode.

jnava

Staff member
This is the last communication I had with this guy. Go ahead and ask him if he has them ready or not or if development has ended. I already have but since you were on that list, send him an email.

Flag this message
Re: PaymentFriday, February 18, 2011 10:25 AM
From: This sender is DomainKeys verified"Nick Baker" Add sender to Contacts
To: "Juan Nava"
Not 100% sure yet
On Feb 18, 2011 10:25 AM, "Juan Nava" wrote:
> Hey, when are they going to be ready?.

> Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android
>
>
>
>
> ____________________________________________________________________________________
> TV dinner still cooling?
> Check out "Tonight's Picks" on Yahoo! TV.
> click

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts