The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Tranny Issue ?

KiNgMaRtY

So I picked up #802 a little less than a month ago. A couple weeks ago I noticed that it was making a sort of whining, metal rubbing noise, like a bearing. At first it was just at lower speeds. The seller told me that he had an issue where the timing over was rubbing on the AC pulley and he had the timing cover replaced before I purchased the vehicle and it was resolved. I thought maybe the issue had came back.

Last week I noticed that the noise would get a tad louder at higher speeds now. It got very difficult all of the sudden to put it in gear and the engagement point was at the floor. I adjusted the rod under the dash and all was well to putting it in gear. I started paying close attention to the issue and what it was doing. When I would start disengaging the clutch in first I could feel vibration on the pedal. I though it was strange.

I drove the car to work yesterday and just the same issue. As I was leaving, I pushed the clutch pedal in, moved it into first and heaed this strange loud whinning sound, almost sounded electrical. As it drove felt fine but when it was time to put in gear at a stop it did the awful noice. 8 or so lights later. It was nearly impossible to put it into gear but did so and pulled it into a parking lot. Any gear I "try" (won't really go into gear anymore) to put it in at a stop with the car on will grind. I had to have it towed home /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

So I checked the fluid and its all there. Engagement point feels the same, rod underneathe the dash didn't move. So all else I can think is possibly a bad throwout bearing since I heard all the noices? I don't really know as I have never had any prior tranny issues with any cars other than just the basic slave/matercylinder issues.

Car has a Jacks Transmission rebuilt with an Evo 1st gear, ACT 2600 w/street disk, ACT flywheel.

What could be the issue?

SouthCaliVR4

It sounds clutch component related by discription. Time to drop the trans & see what you've got going on.

KiNgMaRtY

So my friend came over a few weeks later and yes, the rod was over adjusted so we adjusted it back to where I could push in the slave with my thumb. The ticking noise that I had heard were I guess the teeth, still don't know what the bearing sounding noise is/was. It would go away when I push the pedal in. So I drove it for a few days and I had to keep adjusting the rod everyday. One day it just would not go in to gear anymore.

I installed a new slave and master and bled it so many times. Still won't go into gear. The rod under the pedal is all out and I can't even get the slave to the point where I can't push it in with my thumb, I can still push it in with the master rod maxed out

AnotherNewb

Not what you want to hear but you should check the clutch fork, 1947 exibited the same problems and it ended up being a failed clutch fork. Same noises, same engagment issues.

1947 still has this issue. She misses the blacktop. Hope this "bandaid" gets me mobile until a clutch fork and/or clutch pedal rebuild is sourced.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts