The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Shift Light Mod - Fabricators Advice Please

cheekychimp

I have had this idea to modify a stock gauge cluster with a shift light for some time. What has stopped me from doing it so far however is that I'm not sure how practical this would actually be and once something loses practicality it quickly becomes "rice". It could however work as a 'sleeper' mod on a stock appearing car that you want to slip under the radar.

So here is the idea. This is the 'T-Sport Rev-Lite' available from MRT

img.php

It is designed to be placed on top of the dash in the driver's peripheral vision and the number of LEDs illuminated progressively increases with RPMs the last two GREEN LEDs coming on as you reach 'redline' or your shift point. There are six LEDs in total.

Now take a look at the stripped down stock gauge cluster here.

Notice the segments in the centre? Those are redundant on the manual cluster as they house the gear status indicators for the automatic transmission. There are seven segments in total.

Now I haven't disassembled the Rev-Lite or seen the internals but logic dictates that it would not be difficult to separate and if necessary extend the wiring to each LED so that each could be located in its own segment, greens at the top and reds at the bottom. The guts of the box I am sure could be located on the rear of the gauge cluster without too much issue. If that isn't possible, it could simply be kept in the original housing and remotely located but that would make removing the gauge cluster in the future more difficult.

That in essence is it. As you look at the gauge cluster as RPMs rise a steady line of LEDs would progressively move up between the speedo and tach. My issue with the mod is this. If you are actually looking at the gauge cluster, is there really any point in having a shift light right next to the tach? Initially I thought 'no' but on second thoughts I know the extra large drag tachos that mount on top of the dash have an integrated shift light. It would also serve some purpose I guess if you have a built motor and a higher than stock rev limit.

I am not sure if the idea of having these in the peripheral vision will still work with the lights in the cluster. At night I guess it will work but during the day I'm not sure. This is a doubled edged sword because if the LEDs are very bright, I imagine it could get very annoying at night. The option here perhaps would be to wire in a power switch to the unit so that it could be switched off at night, whilst cruising or when not at the track.

Another possibility might be to house the LEDs in the top of each of those segments and drill a small hole in the centre of each plastic blank that covers each segment on the manual cluster faces. This would diffuse the light more but would likely eliminate almost all chances of seeing the lights unless looking at the gauge cluster directly.

So is it an idea worth pursuing or does a device like that need to be mounted higher (say in an A-Pillar) to be effective? I've never used a shift light and I can't see a great deal of use for one on a daily driver, I've always considered them a track accessory whether that is drag OR circuit racing. That said, on my Police Motorcycle I have hit the 10,000 rev limiter on numerous occasions during pursuits and whilst attending accidents because the revs rise so quickly, so I am wondering if this will be worth doing on the project car (with the aluminium rods) as it is going to wind up much faster and has a much lower rpm threshold.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

citymunky

Do you really need a shift light that bad?

cheekychimp

No, if you put it that way I don't, which is why it has never been a top priority. But if you start to be that black and white about the whole thought process, I don't actually "need" a 65 lb turbo, or a stroker engine, or 18" rims. At the end of the day, it's just a hobby and it gives me pleasure to mess around with ideas like this even if I never actually follow through with them. I was really just interested to hear people's thoughts on it, and even if it isn't something that 'I' actually need, I thought it might appeal to some of the other guys who spend a lot of time at the track but who don't want a shift light on their dash to attract unnecessary attention when they leave it.

Boostdtalon

I think it would be a cool idea and I would think it would not be that hard to install. Even if the LEDs are on the board, it shouldn't be too hard to desolder and add some wiring to be able to relocate the LED's. If I was into drag racing I would probably want to do this myself.

curtis

Paul If your going to do it why not just swap the little cheap led's out for a high intensity larger LED. Might want to ask if the circuit board will support them but not being in the line of sight and being behind the factory filters they want really be noticed. You could probably take the factory automatic plastic piece get all the markings off then place a piece of really light tint or a photography filter of some color over it then behind with bright lights will work fine.

Years ago I had a small autometer tach with a built in light and a dial to set it then on the side I mounted this warning light as a shift light but was so bright I ended up mounting it lower out of sight because it would light up the whole inside of the car anyway. It was easy to add on and just had to go inside the tach and solder on a wire on the back of the bulb socket inside. I looked for pictures of the tach but none are on the web I guess it was discontinued

warning light

RedTwo

Have you considered fitting it between the sun visor and the roof lining? It's more in your normal driving line of sight than the instrument cluster. Ideally you'd fit the shift light to illuminate you windscreen but that cuases all sorts of issues!

blacksheep

Paul - If I may humbly suggest - I would do a buzzer or a chime like the RX7 and RX8 has rather than the shift light - I don't think anything but the redline matters for the most part imho - Install a buzzer with adjustable rpm control and call it a day. It won't be as cool as lights, but will work. The one I know of has warning beeps you know when you are close to redline - 2 short beeps and a long beep...

This was on a s2k

click

No lights to look for, no annoying glare at night etc. I have had 2 or 3 shiftlights, I will never do one again.

Last edited:

1qkfwd

This is almost like what I did by putting a digital boost gauge in the clock on the dash.

I think you would need bright LEDs for it to work so you see it. I have one of the pen sized shift lights in my talon, it's on the steering shaft and it has to be pointed right at my eyes to see it goin down the track. I thought of using the spot your talking about for an afr gauge.

Boostdtalon

Quoting blacksheep:
Paul - If I may humbly suggest - I would do a buzzer or a chime like the RX7 and RX8 has rather than the shift light - I don't think anything but the redline matters for the most part imho - Install a buzzer with adjustable rpm control and call it a day. It won't be as cool as lights, but will work. The one I know of has warning beeps you know when you are close to redline - 2 short beeps and a long beep...

This was on a s2k

click

No lights to look for, no annoying glare at night etc. I have had 2 or 3 shiftlights, I will never do one again.

That would go along with his sleeper idea as well.

Rausch

Just PLEASE PLEASE don't use the same buzzer noise.. The first time I heard that noise in my first RX-7, it scared the living crap out of me.

Otherwise, you could absolutely pull the LEDs and mount them on cards that fit the Auto portion. Also, the thought of between the headliner and visor is not a bad idea at all. IF you really wanted to get fancy- put them behind the glass in the rear view mirror /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cheekychimp

Quoting 1qkfwd:
I thought of using the spot your talking about for an afr gauge.

Actually, that would probably be more useful on a daily driver. What gauge did you find that would work there?

1qkfwd

I haven't found one yet. The cheap narrow band gauges probably wouldn't be hard to adapt there. And they would give you a slight idea if your leaning out when it's most important. Not sure what wideband gauge would work. You would have to know what led is roughly what afr. I guess it's a mater of seeing what needs to be done and putting it all together. I hack apart a perfectly good autometer boost gauge to get it to read where the stock clock is. I think you could get away with using the aem gauge since it has the led display. I'd have to see what's out there

Another thought couldn't you get one of the pen sized shift lights and install that in another spot in the cluster. Im sure there's some other unused areas there.

Last edited:

RedTwo

I have a DIY ...uhhh potentiometer? (bar graph) air/fuel gauge circuit somewhere on my pc. If it actually works, you should be able to use LEDs or an off the shelf bar graph LED unit to fit into the space.

cheekychimp

Quoting 1qkfwd:
I haven't found one yet. The cheap narrow band gauges probably wouldn't be hard to adapt there. And they would give you a slight idea if your leaning out when it's most important. Not sure what wideband gauge would work. You would have to know what led is roughly what afr. I guess it's a matter of seeing what needs to be done and putting it all together. I hack apart a perfectly good autometer boost gauge to get it to read where the stock clock is. I think you could get away with using the aem gauge since it has the led display. I'd have to see what's out there

Another thought couldn't you get one of the pen sized shift lights and install that in another spot in the cluster. Im sure there's some other unused areas there.

I actually have an AEM gauge here but it's brand new and I feel a little nervous about pulling it apart on a whim. I could just go for a basic pen shaped shift light, I'm pretty sure I've actually got a turbo XS one that came with their boost controller setup, I just liked this one as it spans a 1000 rpm range right before your shift point. So thinking about it, I don't think it would really be that annoying if you weren't shifting at the redline everyday. If you set your shift point at 7500 rpms the first light would come on at 6500 rpms, the next at 6700 rpms and so on. Given that I granny shift at about 4000-5000 rpms during normal driving it would never even come on most of the time. There is a plastic 'blank' that covers all those segments in the cluster, a bit like this one except that in a true manual cluster they are individual squares over each segment which makes mounting the LEDs easier

I just intended to find the right sized drill bit, drill holes over each segment and poke the LED straight though, just as they are mounted in the original unit.

Red, I like the idea of the AFR gauge but I think building one is above my abilities. I can just about manage to solder wires to contacts if I know where they are going as here but the most difficult thing I have ever done was resolder a blinker relay on my motorcycle!!!

Rausch

DSC00233.jpg

DSC00235.jpg
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:

cheekychimp

What are those two readings? I assume one is AFR?

I did see an article about a guy who put the entire Valentine 1 display in the rearview. It was incredibly cool, I just feel very nervous puling expensive electronics apart when I know I wouldn't have a clue were to start if it stopped working afterwards.

Rausch

The originals were remote displays for the V1. The pics above are of the square style mirror form an M3 with AEM AFR and Boost gauges installed. Guess the guy that did them sorted out the dimming/brightness for day/night as well.

I don't know how they come apart- Mine is the oval style= liquid filled for auto-dimming.- but it can't be all that difficult. He did say he ruined a couple mirrors in the process.

Quick video clip:
click

Rausch

Yeah, easily.

You're talking better than 13k to start, plus clutch and subframe reinforcement, plus install if you want them to warranty anything.

/threadjack

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned