The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Knock knock who's there?

So I finally got around to installing my new knock sensor(vatozone gpsorenson mitsubishi one),changed the oil and fuel filters(oem mitsu filters)replaced the dummy light oil sensor flushed the coolant and changed the thermostat and coolant temperature sensor and a noisy alternator belt yesterday. The old knock sensor to say the least was toast, all the gooey stuff was gone. The new thermostat and coolant flush brought my temps to a more reasonable 180-190's when fully warmed up instead of the usual 209-213 degrees I use to see on the logger. Problem is after installing the new knock sensor I am seeing more knock now than ever mostly at idle and part throttle not even boosting wtf? I talked to Jeff and he said my chip has the PK code so I am not sure why its still doing this? I read Sleepingvr4 post and I seem to have similar issues. Whats weird is my converted factory dumb ass boost gauge knock sum doesn't show any knock unless I am really over boosting, could my logger just be showing pk knock values? the car seems to run fine and actually pulls real strong. I haven't done any new logs since making the new changes which I will do today and try and post later. Think I am going to try and find some race gas and retard the cas a bit to see if that helps also, wish me luck, I am at the end of my wits with this damn car. I want to get this thing running right before my planned rebuild and having the same issues. Thanks guys any help and or suggestion will be greatly appreciated and yes I did verify that my base timing is at 5 degrees per vfaq. I will do another boost leak test also and report back.I need to find another evoix maf the one I have looks like someone was playing around with the maf screw its mangled but my logger doesnt show any error codes stored or otherwise.

Mods-Mhi b16g,Evo manifold and O2,Keydiver 91-94 ecu with the works,Fic
850's,Aeromotive Afpr -6 lines,walboro 255 rewired,Ngk bpres 7's [email protected],ngk
wires,Buschur Racing 3" turbo back exhaust and cat delete, Aem Wideband,Dsm
Logger,Lsp boost controller,battery in trunk,EvoIX maf and some other stuff I am
sure I am forgetting. Guess its time for that big front mount intercooler and Dsm
link./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Barnes

How tight did you install the knock sensor? As for the knock reading in relation to the PK code, I would beat money it still displays the knock, but the computer doesn't retard timing below a certain threshold.

Adorsey

As long as its not too tight, then I would agree with what he said^

Not too tight its snug should I try loosening it a little? So should I not worry about it?

beaner

Hand thread it the best you can, then tighten it with a wrench just a hair. That's how I've always done it.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Went looking though factory CSM manuals last night, and low and behold, they don't list the torqued spec for the sensor!
Anyone have the spec, just for giggles (and those installing one in the near future)?

jepherz

Staff member
I have a hard time believing torque on the sensor has anything to do with it. I'd ask Jeff specifically what his PK code does, as referred to above.

From dsmchips.com vfaq

"The guys on the DSM-ECU Group have come up with a relatively safe way to deal with "true" phantom knock.
We tell the ECU to just ignore all knock when you are NOT under boost! I have many satisfied customers
who formerly had horrible PK issues. Just mention it in the "Comments" box if you need it".

Nate

Why would you put in race gas and then retard the timing? Good race gas should make it more than safe enough to hammer on it.

What I meant to say was I will try some race gas and if that doesnt work
I will retard the timing as keydiver suggest to see if it makes a difference

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned