The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Speedo drive?

Now on my ZR4 since it is running rear wheel drive I think the guy who did it pulled the shaft out that the speedo pick up runs off. Is there a way around this to make the speedo work when running RWD or does it run off the front axles? Anyone that has pulled one of these gearboxes apart and made to run RWD only will probably be able to answer this for me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

H05TYL

The speedo is driven off a gear on the front diff.

With the centre diff locked and the front drive shafts removed the car will be rwd, you can either put the cv cups back into the box, or block the holes where they go with frost plugs or similar. It'd be unusual to remove the front diff completely, though this could be your problem.

First up, have a look and see if the speedo cable is connected to the gearbox. If it is then see if the inner cv cups are still in place - if they are the front diff must be present (or they would fall out).

Hmmm that is strange then as I have spoken with the guy that did it and he said that the front diff is still in there just locked. I have checked and the front cv cups are still in the gearbox also and the speedo cable is still screwed into the gearbox. He said the speedo stopped working after he made it RWD. Looks like I may have to pull it out and see for myself, the syncros are a bit average anyway.

grocery_getter

He needs to weld the output gears on both half of the CD. He is making it RWD by welding only the top output gear to the CD "hat" he needs to weld the bottom output gear to the CD "bucket" as well. The bottom gear inner splines slides on the CD output shaft with the big tall gear that drives the front diff where the speedo gear "helix cut" is machined on. On a more important topic than your speedometer not working. The big gear bolted on to the front diff is what function as the oil pump in the transmission. As the car is driving and the front diff is turning, it distributes oil in side the tranny. If the front diff is not turning (as evident by the lack of speedo reading) then your tranny is not getting any lubrication as well. STOP DRIVING it until you can fix this problem. When he weld the bottom gear to the CD "bucket" please use a jig because it can be welded off center which will change the location of the CD "bucket" and it will not lined up with the top bearing anymore.

Andre

steve

^Knowledge. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned