The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

stainless IC piping vs aluminum

Hondakiller

Aluminum has the advantage on the hot side of the turbo. Cuz it transfer's heat better than stainless. Stainless would be better on he cold side of he turbo and yes! Cuz it have better insulating properties than aluminum. But take I mind the aluminum is liter, and cheaper than stainless.

Ben

I'm at a cross roads as to what to do with my IC setup. I have no clue where to go. ETS has nothing for me. Unless I just buy a core and make my piping. I'm not sure where the cold side outlet of the core points though. It looks like it point to the fender. Why can't I just run it straight to the TB like an eclipse? I'm going to put the battery in the trunk and run the intake like an eclipse.

I have this huge SBR IC setup, but I don't think it's going to work.

I have a box of aluminum piping and couplers, but it all seems cheap and flemsy.
dunno. argh!

Hondakiller

Yes stainless is nicer. But I did know you had both stainless and aluminum. I would go with the stainless just get a good size cooler. But I can't help you on what cooler to get cuz I don't know how it sets up. Is it a kit u both or did u pease it together

Ben

It's the slowboy big fmic kit for a 1g eclipse.

I think I'm going to keep that kit together and not use any of it.

Hondakiller

All you got is the two pipe and hardware? Do you have the cooler as well that's a hard kit to fab in a gvr4. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif but if you have the cooler! To get that kit to fit it might be ezer to put a half size rad in.

Ben

Yeah, I bought my buddy's Talon that had all kinds of goodies on it that I wanted to use, including the large SBR fmic kit set up for a gm maf. It has an apexi bov.

There is room for the piping on each side of the radiator. The radiator I have is for an eclipse and seems to leave me room. the problem is this core is going to sit very very low. It's going to stick out below the bottom of the bumper cover.

I am not sure what I want to do with the kit yet if I don't use it. I think I want to keep it to put back in the Talon. I want to try and make it run to sell it. I want it outa of my shop. Unless someone wants just the shell. I have TONS of dsm parts to get it going again to sell.

Rausch

Quoting matrixswan:
Aluminum has the advantage on the hot side of the turbo. Cuz it transfer's heat better than stainless. Stainless would be better on he cold side of he turbo and yes! Cuz it have better insulating properties than aluminum. But take I mind the aluminum is liter, and cheaper than stainless.

Well, now hang on a minute here....

Yes, the AL would be lighter, but by how much? Couple lbs maybe? You can use thinner walled stainless piping and wind up with the same strength and rigidity...Sooooo....50/50?

Don't forget that that AL hot side pipe is Bolted to, and crosses over, one of the Hottest parts of then whole shebang...So piping your air over extremely hot parts, and having it bolted to an extremely hot part isn't going to do you any favors. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

By the same token, the Stainless might be a bit more resilient to the ambient heat in the bay, but it's still there, and fairly constant, so the piping is going to get hot too....Back to square one...

Stainless= prettier and pricier.

Al= a bit (if at all) lighter and cheaper.

Beyond that, the potential performance difference in that application is negligible, if not non-existent.

My $.02

Ben

I wasn't too concerned with the performance difference of the 2. Just looking for a reason to not use this box of AL piping. I like the stainless so much better, haha.

I really have no clue what I'm going to do for my IC set up. Hopefully I find something.

turbowop

Aluminum piping is also very easy to bend/crush and dent while working in/around the engine bay. Don't tighten those t-bolt clamps too tight.

I went with stainless for this reason. I highly doubt I'd see a horsepower improvement by using aluminum. Just a tiny weight improvement.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts