The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Turbo mainifold

misfitsnemesis

Well have been looking and looking and only thing i can find is JMF make a VR4 specific mainifold. I was wondering what all the 10/11 second people are running mainifold wise. I know bolt on Mitsu charger most are using FP mainifold. Was wondering what the big frame charger people are running.

Thanks Andrew.

Ben

I have a Punishment racing hand built manifold. I havn't even started the car yet, but i already know that the core support is going to require some modification in order for an aftermarket aluminum radiator. a factory style radiator fit, but the manifold and tial 38 are too close to run it that way. The engine woulr rock enough for the manifold to contact the radiator.

Rausch

Quoting misfitsnemesis:
Well have been looking and looking and only thing i can find is JMF make a VR4 specific mainifold. I was wondering what all the 10/11 second people are running mainifold wise. I know bolt on Mitsu charger most are using FP mainifold. Was wondering what the big frame charger people are running.

Thanks Andrew.

Most are probably running an FP or like cast mani to run 11's...Some 10's too...

Otherwise, JMF, Full Race, or any other tubular guy to bolt up/clear a larger frame.

Nate

I used an SFP "tubular" manifold to go 11.2 on a non-bb GT40, and used an EvoIII manifold with a 35R to go 11.4.

EMX5636

Most people will be fine with a bolt on setup using an FP, 2G, or E3 manifold. Unfortunately, most tubulars are made for dsm's that have a bit more room up front. I'm currently designing a top mount T3 manifold with JMF similar to the T4 setup they make. I'm hoping to have it mocked up in a week or two. I'll get some pics of the progress, and then final installed pics.

misfitsnemesis

Thanks yeah i would like to see your mainifold you working on. Thanks for pics of the JMF mounted up in the engine bay. U all have been helpful. Kepp them coming.

The reason im asking is im going for a big setup on my motor and just figuring out the option on the GVR4 mainifold. Cause like someone said dsm's have more room then the GVR4 does up front. My first goal is 11's on boost. Just now starting to pick up my parts so just asking what i cant find by searching. Also didnt want to fork out 1300 just for JMF mainifold with out seeing pics and getting feed back. I know they make great products. If it was a DSM i would go sheerer fab but wont clear with out modding or custom making one.

Once i get my parts all here for motor i will start my build thread.

Nate

You should be able to do 11s on a 2G ported/Evo3 manifold and a 16G, or some basic TD06 20G, and the car should still be VERY streetable.

Ben

Here's the punishment racing manifold with a 1g talon radiator in place. click

so pretty. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif click
punishment manifold/dumptube/o2 housing with a PTE 6262 stuck in the middle there.

misfitsnemesis

Quote:
You should be able to do 11s on a 2G ported/Evo3 manifold and a 16G, or some basic TD06 20G, and the car should still be VERY streetable.

Yeah but im only wanting to get one mainifold one time so i dont have to change it if i go to a bigger charger later on. Only like to buy stuff once.

Nate the link isnt working right now for me. Hopefully it will tomorrow. I know punishment racing make great mainifolds imjust looking trying to get a feel for what mainifold would go well and less hassle.

Nate

Having been where you are, the biggest question you need to ask yourself is what do you want from this car. If I had things to do over again, I definitely wouldn't stuck with a manifold that was more durable, and a smaller turbo, and concentrated more on things like cylinder head, compression, cams, etc.

Way back when I was using a stock 1G head, with stock cams, and a TDO6 20G, my car was SOO much fun. It spooled like crazy, was a blast on the street, would run mid-high 11s, and never broke anything.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the feeling on the highway when the GT40 spools (somewhere between 4 and 5000 rpm), of being hit in the back by a speeding freight train, but in all honesty, it was a more usable car when it had a slightly smaller turbo on it. The BB35R was the last one I used with a stock frame manifold, and sometimes I wish I'd kept that setup, so it would have been easier to swap in a SMALLER turbo.

To each their own, I guess.

cheekychimp

I'm starting to feel very much like Nate. I know that perhaps I shouldn't give up on the big setup until I have at least given it a chance, but I really wouldn't be surprised if one day the 'other' car ends up with something like an EVO III 16G or a 20G on the stroker engine. I know it will rapidly fall off at about 7000 rpms but I'd rather miss out on the fun factor 10% of the time on the highway than 90% of the time on the other roads.

Don't get me wrong, I know a lot of you guys race at the track and need to take that quarter mile performance into account but we have no drag strips here and I get my kicks on some very different types of playground where an on/off 300-350 hp turbo would really be ideal.

Last edited:

misfitsnemesis

Quote:
Having been where you are, the biggest question you need to ask yourself is what do you want from this car. If I had things to do over again, I definitely wouldn't stuck with a manifold that was more durable, and a smaller turbo, and concentrated more on things like cylinder head, compression, cams, etc.

Way back when I was using a stock 1G head, with stock cams, and a TDO6 20G, my car was SOO much fun. It spooled like crazy, was a blast on the street, would run mid-high 11s, and never broke anything.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the feeling on the highway when the GT40 spools (somewhere between 4 and 5000 rpm), of being hit in the back by a speeding freight train, but in all honesty, it was a more usable car when it had a slightly smaller turbo on it. The BB35R was the last one I used with a stock frame manifold, and sometimes I wish I'd kept that setup, so it would have been easier to swap in a SMALLER turbo.

To each their own, I guess.

Thanks for the words and wisdom. Yeah my main goal is to see some 9's hopefully someday. We have a dragstrip so the car will be a weekend car and mainly a drag strip car. But i like hearing everyone likes and dislikes about there setup.

JNR

The only real reason to run a tubular manifold (header) on these is if you have say a T3 or T4 turbo flange setup, or whatnot. The heat retention on thick cast iron is far superior to most of the thin steel many of these 'shops' use, and equally important is the lack of inherent strength (think cracking) to adequately support the turbo, when using a header. Sure, you can add some reinforcement (I haven't seen any that do this right though), or if you did it from scratch - design it to incorporate, but overall...It can be done (say sch 80 pipe, coated, etc.)

Another reason I would want to run a tubular is to run a wastegate in the proper place (at collector, pre-turbo), but to do this right, you'd want a header that comes up high, so that you can have a long enough collector, although doing this has its disadvantages, as well. Equal length runners, properly sized would be nice, too, although runner design/size should be 'tuned' to what you want to accomplish.

We just don't have a lot of room, unfortunately, so you have to compromise. Sure, headers look neat and all, but there is a lot more to something that actually works well enough and IMO, 90-some odd % of the ones on the market are more for looks or bragging rights, so to speak.

With that said, just run an FP or even an EVO 3 ported and you'll be fine. I'd personally get them ceramic coated to keep the turbo running as efficently as possible (heat energy to spin the tubine), or make sure you at least run an oem heat shield (say with an evo). I personally ported and polished my FP, but out of the box they are pretty decent as far as casting manufacturing goes...

Last edited:

Ben

OK, here's a few pics. I couldn't even get the larger radiator in and the other is how close it is to a stock radiator.

These are eclipse radiators BTW

Last edited:

EMX5636

Got a few pics of the first mock up almost done. Will need to add a wastegate port, but it's gonna go on the trans side of the mani...

GVR4TopmountMockup6.jpg

GVR4TopmountMockup5.jpg

GVR4TopmountMockup2.jpg

GVR4TopmountMockup.jpg

The turbine housing is really close to the #4 runner, but it's with the oddly shaped BEP T3 housing. I'll shave a bit off the housing to fit. A .82 Garrett housing, has almost 1/2" clearance for all you Garrett BB guys... (My next turbo anyway after this BW blows up)

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned