The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Signs of a bad alt? Or starter

Brunoboy

Today my windshield wipers didnt work and its raining,, also my headlights flicker if i dont keep revs up. My car doesnt have enough power to start the car unless i jump it.

Last edited:

RedTwo

Flat battery probably caused by a dead/dying alternator /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brunoboy

can there be a bad alt even if the battery light doesnt come on?

toybreaker

iconoclast
yes

Brunoboy

How long does an alt swap take? Its been awhile since ive done that.

gtluke

I think my alternator light came on like once out of the 8 that have died on me.

raptorWagon

Quoting brunoboy:
How long does an alt swap take? Its been awhile since ive done that.

If you don't have power steering, about 20 minutes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brunoboy

Lol, i have power steering

RedTwo

You *can* do it without pulling the radiator but I've always found it easier with the rad out of the way. It shouldn't take more than an hour...

raptorWagon

That's why I said if you don't have PS it won't take long, never have to touch the radiator to remove the alternator.

Brunoboy

yea I jump started the car today to move the car, and it wouldnt start by itself. This week I am JSB since its raining, I have to do the alternator, the Starter, Panda the bottom half of the car. Turbo Swap. Oil Change, Rear diff needs to be sealed at the drain bolt and the Transfer case drain bolt leak. Redo some wiring, make a FMIC Bracket, clean my fogs, reinstall, paint my roof and do my evo suspension. This is going to be a long week.

Diego

Me and Justin ( well justin did it, I oogled his engine bay /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) did it collaborativly in about 15 mins.

Then we hit the carrier bearings......... a few minutes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Brunoboy

it took you 15 minutes to do the swap?

Diego

Yup, got my UIC outta the way, slipped belt off, undid bolts, unplugged, replugged, rebolted, tighten belts, connect UIC, tighten IC silicon couplers............ Done.

KungFu skillz.

Brunoboy

Geez, you still have ps?

Tre3zy

Quoting Diego:
KungFu skillz.

^ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif ^

Last edited:

KiNgMaRtY

Its tough to get it out with the radiator still in. I removed the radiator and moved the PS out of the way got that sucker out. Not the funest, especially the first time around. So much easier on a 1g

Hondakiller

The alternator is most likely no good and it killed your batt. So I would get a new alternator a batt. It should fix your problem! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Brunoboy

My battery still powers everything on, so i took it out and charged it in deep cycle

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts