The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

O ring or not?

Hey guys just wondering at what point,power level, boost level etc does it become necessary to have the block o ringed. I am getting ready to rebuild my motor and my builder wants to know if I want to o ring the block. I only want to do this rebuild once(hopefully)and not have to worry about taking things apart again.Rebuild will be all forged internals and some good rods Manley,Crower,Pauter or the like.Does anyone know if eagle rods are only ok to the 500-600whp mark? have they solved that rod bolt issue since changing to the bigger size? In essence is anyone making over 600whp on eagle rods and it stayed together? Not that its what I want but you never know.I know nothing is guaranteed but I just want to make sure I am not wasting money that I could be using somewhere else to make the car go faster please include pro's and cons with your personal experience not what you have heard.Did a search on o ring block and only came up with the cft car hope the frcII will be done soon.....
Thanks
D

Last edited by a moderator:

donniekak

People have made 650+ at the wheels, on stock rods. I have talked to several people who have made 600+ with eagles. If you are that worried, get some i-beams.

Terry Posten

If you are going to boost past 25psi, then o-ring the block. Just make sure you use stainless steel and not brass.

Quoting donniekak:
People have made 650+ at the wheels, on stock rods. I have talked to several people who have made 600+ with eagles. If you are that worried, get some i-beams.

From your answer it seems like you think the stock rods are stronger than the eagle rods come on man 650whp on stock rods????????????????? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gifDidnt read my post fully huh? No I heard or talk to people who have made if that was the case then every other mitsubishi out there would be running around with 600+whp come bro..

Terry thanks for the recommendation on the the type of material for the O ring and yes I am absolutely going above 25psi doesnt life begins at 20psi for turbocharged mitsubishi's anyway? :cool

O-ring it. I used to be scared of Eagle rods but they seem to have gotten much better now. I know people making 750 @ the wheels with Eagle H-Beam rods. They will hold the power you want to make & they're cheap too. Personally, I'd put I-Beam rods in my car but you can't ignore the affordability of the Eagle H-Beams.

misfitsnemesis

Most people now adays are just using the Felpro PermaTorque MLS Headgasket and L19 studs instead of oringing. This combo is proven to hold up very well for 700+HP. x2 on what garfield said. Eagle have come along way and i would use now if you wanted a H beam acourse. The I beams are gonna be better but if your looking for a budget cant beat eagle rods for the price.

Last edited:

donniekak

Quoting Blown1:
Quoting donniekak:

From your answer it seems like you think the stock rods are stronger than the eagle rods come on man 650whp on stock rods????????????????? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gifDidnt read my post fully huh? No I heard or talk to people who have made if that was the case then every other mitsubishi out there would be running around with 600+whp come bro..

Terry thanks for the recommendation on the the type of material for the O ring and yes I am absolutely going above 25psi doesnt life begins at 20psi for turbocharged mitsubishi's anyway? :cool

The eagles are obviously stronger than stock. You asked if eagles were good for 600+, they are.

As for the o-ring. I have run 38 psi without rings, and pushed no coolant with a1 studs. I had an o-ringed block in the garage just in case, but never needed it.

I read you post fully, and actually understood it, despite your lack of grammar. Do kids these days learn how to read and write by text message?

"The eagles are obviously stronger than stock. You asked if eagles were good for 600+, they are.As for the o-ring. I have run 38 psi without rings, and pushed no coolant with a1 studs. I had an o-ringed block in the garage just in case, but never needed it.I read you post fully, and actually understood it, despite your lack of grammar. Do kids these days learn how to read and write by text message?"

Thanks for clearing that up for me sir, and by the way I am no kid thank you. As you clearly did not see in the original post I requested from "personal experience not what you may have heard". You then clearly went on to state that "People have made 650+ at the wheels, on stock rods. I have talked to several people who have made 600+ with eagles. If you are that worried, get some i-beams.

As for my grammar sir I would check my own work before making such erroneous statements. You forgot to close your quotation marks and you over punctuate where it isn't needed to sound intelligent please, I asked a simple question sir and you failed to read the requirements. Thank you for your second response which was more of what I was looking for, again thank you and have a wonderful day. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts