The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

How to make a Hybrid Type S/RS Blow Off Valve

alansupra94

SHOULD be noted that I WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE IF YOU f*** THIS UP. DO AT YOUR OWN RISK

Well after finding a Greddy Type S Top and diaphragm among the boxes and boxes of parts, I decided to finish it off and install it on my Galant VR4. So to recap, this has the nice and durable type S diaphragm with the prettier type RS style.

First thing I did was to order a Knock off Type RS off ebay. Since I would be using the Type S diaphragm, I wouldn't have to worry about the diaphragm ripping.

Here is the Knockoff Type RS taken apart.
IMG_20101105_131440.jpg

That diaphragm is literally built like absolute ass. I realize its a knock-off but it would seriously last possibly a month. Also if the Greddy authentic diaphragm is anywhere close to the same design, it would fail epically as well. I removed that crappy O-ring as the Type S diaphragm has that incorporated into the design.

Here is the parts that I had found in the box
IMG_20101105_131444.jpg

Considering that the top was purple and kinda scratched up, I decided to just use the diaphragm.

IMG_20101105_132743.jpg

Here you can see, that the diaphragm fits perfectly. I don't know who said the diaphragms are not compatible, but they completely are. :tease:

Here it is right before putting it together.
IMG_20101105_131544.jpg

Finished product
IMG_20101105_132116.jpg

I also decided to go with a single spring as I was told that the 4G63 will never need double springs.

Last edited:

DR1665

Face.
Stab.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Interesting and useful knowledge for anyone properly set up to VTA.

alansupra94

Lol wut?

You can recirculate a Greddy BOV easily. I am speed density so I can vent it into my butthole if I pleased /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Boostdtalon

^^^^ nice write up and I believe that should earn you a new title. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Terry Posten

Would give a new meaning to the phrase "full of hot air". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

steve

Quoting boostdtalon:
^^^^ nice write up and I believe that should earn you a new title. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Current title is one of my favorite though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

alansupra94

I am just digging myself a nice hole aren't I. No pun intended.

LUNARFX

Interesting merger. Thank god you didn't convert with the HKS SSQV. That high pitch noise has annoyed me for over a decade. No boost leaks with your customization I presume?

Last edited:

alansupra94

Started it today....no leaks what-so-ever.

Funny thing is I have owned two HKS SSQV. I really didn't mind them too much /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I guess it comes down to personal preference. I went with a Synapse BOV for my supra /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Boostdtalon

I have and will always go with a Synapse BOV/DV or stock. I've ran there product on two vehicles already and will be running on a third soon.

KiNgMaRtY

Nice write up. One of the advertisement key points when the RS came out was that it supposedly had a bigger diaphram....

alansupra94

Diaphram looks and moves like crap. I personally thought it was terrible.

alansupra94

I have seen several REAL Type RS Greddy BOV and they look the same. Granted, I know ebay quality sucks but the REAL Greddy design is still terrible.

KiNgMaRtY

Oh crap lol.

A local took an ebay greddy Type-S knock off and replaced the diaphram with a bike tire inner tube and has no leaks with his HX-35 at 30PSI! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

alansupra94

LOL I saw that somewhere too when I was researching. I think the original creator did it for an SRT-4.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts