The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Broken Clutch

The_Big_Weave

Friend was driving a car today and hit 1st at around 40, there is a really bad grinding when the clutch is pressed in and I can not disengage it. The problem I am having is that I do not know what to do about another clutch. I have a no name 6 puck and PP with about 25% life left, The PP is a little worn out but not to bad. I was wondering if I could just buy a new disk and get away with it (dont have much money to work with). I am shooting for around 400 wheel, and I know the auto parts store $120 won't cut it at 400 hp. Or if there is any other option let me know, I want to just do the whole kit but I do not have the money and need the car running soon.

4thStroke

If the pressure plate isn't all that worn, toss a fresh disc in there and call it good. You can sometimes go through a few discs on the same pressure plate as long as it's not too hammered.

Wizardawd

Agreed with above. Also a broken tob will give similar symptoms. Make sure to get the flywheel cleaned up and check the pp for excessive warping.

Wiz

BadVr4

could try with a fresh disc and see if it works for a while, and in the mean time save up for a nice ptt twin disc, should last a very long time and will hold just about anything you want to throw at it.

mitsuturbo

unable to disengage? sounds like you may have tossed some springs... i've had this happen TOO MANY times

alansupra94

What causes the springs to pop out?

I am a little leary of my setup due to the fact that it has a ACT 2600 and the clutch pedal pressure is enormous.

mitsuturbo

Abuse.

I abuse the hell out of clutch discs, and i know it, because i can't run a sprung hub and have it last more than 5 months.
Maybe i should get a twin disc. I'm used to driving as though the clutch is an on/off switch.

broxma

I tossed a spring in my clutch after 600 miles of lazy driving. While abuse comes into play, I would argue so does base quality. Fact is the metal that holds the spring in is just a bent tab, and the thickness of that metal varies greatly between manufacturers, especially noticeable on the Ebay (F1, XTR, Etc.) clutches. I took a caliper to the bent tab on my new spec clutch which replaced my Ebay temp clutch which broke. The Spec tab was a full mm or more in thickness. The F1 clutch, barely half. I could actually take a hammer and bend the F1 tab with a not so well placed blow. The Spec clutch, no damn way.

There has to be something in the construction is all I am saying.

/brox

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts