The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

knock problems...logs included... Update 11-11-10

SleepinGVR4

For the life of me I can't figure out whats wrong with my car.

I pulled the plugs today and noticed carbon build up on the top of my pistons and that the number 4 piston looked like it had moisture on top of it. My car doesn't smoke unless I put the throttle down. And when it starts to knock a big could of black smoke comes out.

I don't know why the EGT field won't convert to my wide-band like on my logger.

I'm totally out of ideas. My wide-band says my 02 is well within range.

Last edited:

SleepinGVR4

Ideas anyone? 1941Galant (Hill) and I are going to run some seafoam through the car later today. If that doesn't help I'm kinda out of ideas.

Don't make me have to take my car to a shop, that would be a total kick in the sac.

steve

I never had "phantom knock" but maybe that could be what's going on here? Maybe do some searching about phantom knock (pk) here and on Google. If keydiver is around maybe he can give you some info on it as well, if you can't find anything.

Andy_S

There is a chance its not phantom knock. Looks fairly consistent with tps and maf hz. How old id the sensor? Also to rule out PK, check to make sure everything is tight. Sometimes a loose bracket will slap the block just enough.

SleepinGVR4

Hill and I ran some seafoam threw a vacuum line... didn't help. Boost leak test was performed the other weekend and no leaks. Every time I'm under the car I look for something that could be loose I can't ever find anything. We did a couple more pulls, still knocking. The last pull though the wide band said its running lean. I don't know how the hell that could be possible. New fuel pump, replaced the fuel line from the tank to the fuel filter. The fuel filter is new and I just had my injectors cleaned and tested a month ago. I rebuilt the fuel pressure regulator a couple of months ago also. And I've checked the voltage of the fuel pump at idle and it read 13.63v. Unless some how the fuel pump voltage is dropping under boost. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I'll post the logs up in a few.

Last edited:

Adorsey

Re-wired fuel pump? Is the knock sensor "over tightened" or "loose"?
How would you change your settings anyway?jw Dsmlink? safc? stock ecu?

Im no pro by any means. This is what comes to mind for me.

steve

pk?

1941Galant

There is a brand new 255 wally that is re-wired, and we also inspected and re-torqued his knock sensor about 2 weeks ago. For the walbro pump, we measured the voltage and it's getting around 13.5 or so, however the pump doesn't seem to be as loud as other walbro pumps I've heard. You can stick your head in the trunk and barely hear the thing running, he doesn't get the whine like more other walbros.

SleepinGVR4

Quoting steveGLS:
pk?

Steve if it is phantom knock I don't know why my knock sensor is picking it up. I'm almost positive Jeff burned my eprom chip to ignore phantom knock.

Hill I noticed today that I'm getting knock before my wastegate even opens. I still want to get a recirculated 02 to see if that helps at all though.

I'm going to check tomorrow and see if my bracket that bolt the drive side axle to the block and come loose but I really doubt it.

steve

Well from Keydiver's site

What can you do for the dreaded "Phantom Knock"?
The guys on the DSM-ECU Group have come up with a relatively safe way to deal with "true" phantom knock. We tell the ECU to just ignore all knock when you are NOT under boost! I have many satisfied customers who formerly had horrible PK issues. Just mention it in the "Comments" box if you need it.

So I suspect you would still see the knocksum value even with the PK code, but the ECU would not react to it by pulling timing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

SleepinGVR4

OK that would make since do to the fact that I do see it. I'm starting to wonder if for some reason under boost that my fuel pump voltage is dropping.

I am stilled puzzled as to why the timing is so low though can it be pulling that much timing?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts