The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

SS fuel line

Adorsey

I was under my car on the lift yesterday and my ss fuel lines smell alot like fuel. Understandable, but its all the way down the line? no leaks or drips, just the smell of fuel vapor.
I found this thread here that talks about fuel smell outside/inside of the car.
He also has ss lines,so I guess my question would be, does anyone else smell fuel from the ss lines?
Potential problem? Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

JNR

What kind of fittings you using? Stainless doesn't like to be flared and double flared (like you'd use on a brake line application) are even more fun, lol.

Did this just start, or right after installing the lines or ?

Adorsey

They are AN fittings and stainless steel lines. All new, just recently installed. Correct fittings and connections, even at the tank.
Only 93oct has been in the lines.

It just smells like fuel, although I'm not to worried about it. I think it may be the type of line I purchased. I bought the -6 line w/out a external coating on it. So its raw stainless.

I like the ss a lot, but if this gets to a problem, like the thread above, I might just bend up some 3/8" - 1/2" hard line /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif and be away with the other stuff

JNR

Oh, I see...it's braided SS line then; was thinking hard lines with some sort of compression fitting.

The only bad thing about braided is it eats from the inside and you don't see it from the outside, necessarily. However, if it were a leak, you should be able to see evidence, especially under so much pressure (when it's running). It's *possible* the vapor is escaping at the fitting(s), as well. Certainly want the end of the hose square and seated well in the fitting end, so when you screw in mating piece the hose expands well against fitting and creates tight seal.

Is it really strong? Probably a good idea to address it, at any rate.

Last edited:

jepherz

Staff member
I've read in the past, and heard from people, that SS line does 'vent' when you run petroleum products through it. I figured I'd mention this, even though it makes NO sense to me what-so-ever... I have stainless lines from fuel filter on in my engine bay, and have never smelled the smell of fuel that I attributed to the SS lines themselves. Only to fittings, EGR vent, etc.

broxma

I have a fuel smell under my car and have SS braided for the feed and return the full way. The smell does wander into the cabin at speed. I have no leaks, no questionable fittings, everything tight as a drum. I cannot escape it nor can I find a problem so I am inclined to ignore it and tell riders, if it bothers you, don't breathe.

/brox

JNR

I don't know...I've ran various AN braided line fuel applications and never had this issue (smelling fuel vapor) and doesn't sound like something that you want to be messing around with, ultimately. Vapor is leaking out of the fittings presumably, but not enough to allow liquid to pass. What kind of fittings (brand) and are they designed for fuel injected applications? Seriously though, I would address that issue somehow. Figure if you can smell it with air passing by, the ppm of explosive gas must be up there with a perfect storm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I know, unlikely, but why mess around.

slugsgomoo

Positive it's not a vent or deleted charcoal canister that's giving off the smell? If the ss braid is giving off vapors it's a big time fire hazard.

broxma

I don't know about the Op but I completely removed the evap system including the lines on my car. There are only two lines now, no Evap hardline at all. I may drop the tank and check at some point but I was fairly thorough with my fuel system so my concern is marginalized by my confidence in my work, and I'm not saying that to be a dick. I'll check though tonight if the wife is still in the pokey.

/brox

Adorsey

The lines are in prime condition. Tight as a drum like one said. Correct metric to -an fitting on the pump, and solid mounted afpr. I'm coming to think they may just vent. Although it dosent seem like its enough to worry about, the feed line to the rail from the filter is quite long, and dosent seem to smell like the line under the car. Along with me taking the old line out with some fuel in it, I might just be smelling the old gas on the underneath of the car.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts