The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

GSX/VR4 Conversion

First time working on a Galant of any kind, and have only moderate experience on working on cars in general. I know my way around, and am perfectly capable of doing most mechanical things with them, but I'd like to attempt something a bit harder. I was wondering what information anybody has on a GSX to VR4 conversion? Something I'd like to get started on next month. What parts needed, methods to do things, if any fabbing needs to be done, etc. I am going to be using a 1990 Gsx, and do not know where to start. Thank you for your time.

BrandonEchols

What are your goals?
You can probably get a VR4 Badge from someone and all it a day if you just want it to look like a VR4.
If you want a true VR4 conversion, you'll be swapping a lot of things over, like diffs, etc.
Why just just build the GSX and turbo it?

Eh, a few reasons. One being that I'd enjoy something of a bit of a project, and secondly, I'd prefer to just swap out most things for a fresh start. I don't know very much about these cars, so any information would be greatly appreciated.

SmoothCustomer

Quoting brandonechols:
What are your goals?
You can probably get a VR4 Badge from someone and all it a day if you just want it to look like a VR4.
If you want a true VR4 conversion, you'll be swapping a lot of things over, like diffs, etc.
Why just just build the GSX and turbo it?

What about all of the body parts that look different? If I had a gsx I would just be trying to turbo it and call it a day. The stock gsx is even more of a sleeper. Basically what you need to do is swap the engine, the wiring harness, the ecu, the transmission (a gsx one will work but it is VERY weak) and if you do the trans the rear diff. Also need an intercooler/piping and a different down pipe. That's not it but it's a halfway decent list. As far as I know, no sort of fabrication is needed.

mitsuturbo

The things i can think of off the top of my head are:

Tranny, rear end, downpipe, exh manifold, intercooler and plumbing, bov, wiring harness(es?), thermostat housing, injectors, cams, sensors, turbo and intake plumbing, ecu, clutch.

Come to think of it.. the only things as far in this list that one would NOT do with a GVR4 that was being well built to handle and make plenty of power, would be the wiring, Tstat housing and sensors. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

The stock GS-X engine can handle some boost, but the NT piston ring lands are pretty weak. I know this from firsthand experience. You may as well build a whole engine while you're at it.

Then there's the cosmetic stuff, which i won't even get into.

Last edited:

One of the few things I had planned was a full 6 bolt engine swap, but other than that,I've hit a wall. Would the tranny drop right into place? I had been told that the only difference was the.. shorter 5th gear? And that the 4g63t would boot right up with little problemss

SmoothCustomer

I think the gsx tranny is considerably weaker, too. If I had a gsx I would keep it stock besides a dsm transmission and rear myself.

mitsuturbo

The w5m31 transmission has SUPER INCREDIBLY weak gears contained within.
The w5m33 is built for and can handle a lot more power.

chrisfullwood

i have a 90 gsx turbo, i brought it for 200 bucks, someone else tried to turbo it and did a crappy job, ive since built up the engine, rewired the harness, put computers into it, basically worked on it for like 2 years, and it drives.. most of the time. i still have idle issues with it for some reason. also, a power steering leak appeared, probably stemming from a sway bracket that came loose one day, i didnt notice till i started leaking fluid, when i swapped the rack out, i noticed it was gone. i replaced the rack, and had no choice but to drive it, without the bracket. and its leaking again. finally i found brackets on here.... so now another rack. As for my transmission, the only problem i've had was the clutch fork broke. ive had the flywheel turned, i have a 2900lb act clutch, with the stainless braided lines.

(was told by previous owner, the block was a JDM block)
big 16g (tdo5) turbo
custom exhaust from cat back, the cat is going away soon.
keydiver chip, no limits,
550cc Rc injectors
2g MAF conversion
custom Vacuum layout
bored .40 cylinders
ported/polished cylinder head
BS removed.
big throttle body
255lph fuel pump, with the rewire.
biggest intercooler you can possibly fit in the front of the car.
i have the safc computer in it, but really dont use it because of the keydiver chip,

click
thats the link for cardomain, it has alot of pictures of the build, it was a difficult, painstaking and expensive build, but it is crazy fast, the most enjoyable (when working) car ive driven to date. and its lighter than any Galant VR4 on the street, because it doesnt have the 4ws
there is no 4 wheel dyno in my area that ive found... so its running on the chip setup only. right now the car is in a sad state, i just got back from training with the army, been gone all year so its time to put some TLC on it, new lifters, tune up, etc... and some miles /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
if you do it right, you will enjoy the car, but as all of the mistubishis are, dont expect it to last forever... reliability is the biggest issue with all DSMs

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts