The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Intesting read about oil by Robert Young (Forced Performance)

4thStroke

I just saw that and have been meaning to read it in my free time. I love how he starts out, "...subtle advancements that have occurred..."

SleepinGVR4

Haha. I laughed too. Its a good read and makes sence. Makes me think I should get away from the Durablend. But then again my car isn't making that much power right now so...

Last edited:

mitsuturbo

That's a great read. I'd recommend it for anyone who has not read it yet, and recommend that some who have... read it again.
I have never bought run anything but Castrol Syntec, but it's good to know it comes fairly close to being in their "yellow zone".
Maybe i should be looking for the Penn Grade 1, since it's roughly the same price as the Syntec.

turbowop

I've always run Mobil 1 15w-50, which isn't yellow, but isn't one of the frowned upon oils either. Hell, maybe I'll give the Valvoline VR1 20w-50 a shot next oil change. It's cheaper anyway.

vtecds1

^^^Just looked that up. $20 including the filter isn't bad at all.

Ian M

Brad Penn,along with a couple other specialty oils have been the oil of choice in the high performance air cooled crowd for a few years,and increasingly in v8 circles too. The old motors with flat tappet cams HAVE to have zinc (ZZDP) not wipe out cams. There was a epidemic of wiped cams several years ago,eventually it was realized oil was to blame.

A freind of mine has a mid 9sec turbo street bug,every winter it gets a tear down and refresh. After switching to the Brad Penn the bearings look a lot better.

Interesting to see FP post this bulliten. I've run Brad Penn in my VW, I have been considering making the switch on my Galants. I get it locally for $50 a case,so it's comparible to Mobil 1.

apparently standard oils are being reformulated again for 2011 EPA standards,and the off the shelf oil is going to be worse. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Last edited:

JNR

That was an interesting advertisement, lol.

Ian M

I just re-read my post,kinda does sound like a advertisement. I typed it fast,lunch hour was ending. Wasn't really intended to sound that way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

I just posted because I've seen the oil issue come up with other engines,as well as freinds of mine who have VW and V8s. At the shop I work at we do a lot of old V8 stuff,and we've been talking about oil a lot recently. This is the first I've seen I've seen it come up in DSM/Mitsu circle. Maybe I need to pay more attention. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited:

JNR

Sorry, Ian, didn't mean that directed towards you, but the article /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I just don't take too much weight with articles done by "shops", especially.

Last edited:

IncorpoRatedX

having issues taking him seriously when he misspells a word he put in caps.... good read though, the guys at FP are awesome.

Boostdtalon

Ok that was interesting to read. Good info to say the least. I just looked at the oil aisle at Advance and they have the 20W-50 Valvoline and it's cheaper than Mobil 1. Might make the switch and see how it does.

vtecds1

^^^Don't forget to use the $10 off $25 or more coupon.

SleepinGVR4

Quoting JNR:
Sorry, Ian, didn't mean that directed towards you, but the article /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I just don't take too much weight with articles done by "shops", especially.

But its not like like FP is advertising an oil that they produce. They are just stating oils they have had success with. Plus another reason they may have released the article is to keep the emails and calls they get about failed turbos to a minimum and help extend the life of their turbos they build.

Boostdtalon

Quoting vtecds1:
^^^Don't forget to use the $10 off $25 or more coupon.

I already get employer discount there. Bunch of car friends work there. But I'll keep that in mind.

G

Staff member
That weight rec is good if your in texas in the summer, what about folks in Mn who have "race motors" in their daily drivers? Ever try to start a "race motor" when it's 0* out with 20w-50 in the oil pan?

4thStroke

Starting a motor at 0* with a conventional oil and synthetic oil are going to yield far different results. Some shops swear by synthetic 20-50 no matter what your engine is made up of (stock, or built forged) or turbo being used. It's been proven over time that the 4G63 likes synthetic 20-50, although many will get by with other oils just fine (lower output motor often times).

It should be noted that this largley pertains to journal bearing stock turbo upgrades. They have had a rash of failed Blacks come back due to this reason, hence Roberts release of this experiment.

G

Staff member
I'm talking oil weight vs climate not synthetic vs conventional.

JNR

Sounds like a block warmer would help then. We don't have to worry about cold weather, but 20w-50 is a little too heavy for my liking anyway...

I think what's most important is keeping the oil temperature at a reasonable level, letting the turbo "cool" down before shutting the engine off and changing the oil frequently (look and smell condition). I've used most every 'normal' synthetic and never had any problems, nor do I worry about it. My turbo('s bearings and insides) looked basically new still and I buy the 'brand' that's on sale and don't think twice about it, so long as I follow the above mentioned pointers.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts