The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Idle drops below 500 rpms when I let of throttle.

dmj

Every time If I am at a stop if I hit the gas the car almost stalls when I get of the gas it happens 90% of the time if I have the AC on and about 10% of the time with the ac off. I just replaced the Iac motor but the problem continues .Now I have an intermittent Idle surge and The car sometimes stalls on hot starts. I need help.

Terry Posten

Have you performed a boost leak test?

Look really close at the throttle body shaft seals. And make sure the throttle closed switch is adjusted properly.

mitsuturbo

You're not running a maf and venting bov to atmosphere, are you?
I know it sounds like a rookie mistake, but i have to ask. People -still- make that mistake.

dmj

Boost leak checks ok car holds 20 psi up to redline no spikes Timing checked ,and biss adjusted 850rpm @idle. Throttle body was recently rebuilt problems started approx 3 days later after rebuild. Tps set at 10.1% Keep bringing the ideas. I will try every logical suggestion

toybreaker

iconoclast
Might be a good time to pull the ecu and check the board for carnage.

It's possible your old iac took out the drivers, or there's damage to the boards from acid that leaked from the caps.

We're starting to see the secondary failures from residual acid on boards that weren't cleaned/treated properly when they had the caps replaced years ago.

Post a picture if anything looks amiss, and one of the ecu guys can diagnose things further.

vtecds1

Are you running an aftermarket AFPR? Had similar problems because the diaphragm was shot.

deez

Give us a list of mods so we know what we are working with

dmj

Mods on this car Keydiver stage 3 chip 650 cc injectors , buschur/sx fpr, walbro 255 fuel pump.Hks 264 int/exhaust cams, evo 8 mas. Evo 3 exhaust manifold and turbo ported 2g o2 housing and CME 2 1/2 in exhaust. Boostx coil on plug setup. New oem Isc valve and o2 sensor and rebuilt alternator.When the idle drops I have noticed that the vacuum reading on the boost guage drops to almost 6- 8 in of vacuum .

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned