The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Ticking sound when clutch pedal is pressed in

trexn8

So I just purchased 1209 and I am beginning the restoration process.

I just noticed the other day that when the clutch pedal is pressed in I can hear a ticking sound under the hood. The more the pedal is pressed in the louder the ticking. Also the ticking seems to increase in frequency with rpm. I am thinking throw out bearing or possibly crank walk, but I seriously doubt it being a stock 6-bolt.

Thanks

Nate

Terry Posten

the bearing will do that if it is failing.

If "walk" is the issue, when the pedal is pressed in, revs will drop due to the load on the crank.

x2 for throwout bearing. Try pushing gently on the clutch, just to take up the free-play and see if this creates a noise.

trexn8

Ya that's what I'm thinking. I did try already lightly pressing on the clutch pedal and it starts right away and continues to get worse the more you push. Taking it to the shop today so I will let you guys know what the official diagnosis is. I'm thinking tb too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

trexn8

Yup, TB.

Any recommendations on a good clutch setup for 300-400 hp?

Regards

Terry Posten

Clutchnet 3X pressure plate and full disc.

beaner

Is there anything else other than CW that will cause the rev to drop when the clutch pedal is pressed?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned