The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Quick question?

Lancer99

Whats the easiest way to get the passenger side axle out from the trans? I got the drivers out and the other times it was easy to just pull it out but this one won't come off and I dont have the fork tool to go through the drivers side. So far my tools are too short or too fat to go through the drivers side. Any advice or if anyone is in teh area that can let me borrow a tool to tap it out?

Rob

gtluke

you just need a prybar of some sort, hell even a tire iron would work.
spin the wheel until the fat part of the axle lines up with the trans in a good way where you can jam it in there. It takes good swift blows, usually a few of them. You are prying the green axle cup with the 3 sides against the outside of the transmission, away from the trans obviously. It takes some force.
I use a large screwdriver to do it.

Lancer99

I know what your saying and I've been doing that too. I forgot to add this is on a 1gen eclispe not a vr4 so I have less room to work with. But I might try the long flat head. Its a lot thinner than using a crow bar.

Whoodoo

Mine was a real PITA to get out. I had all sorts of different sized flat head screwdrivers, crow bars, random metal objects and other things to try to get it out, but a flat head was what ultimately did it for me. The application of force in the right direction with a good mechanical advantage gets so many difficult jobs done easy.

Diego

^that....

Or I use a ball joint breaker (looks like a tuning fork)

beaner

The fork works best, along with a kick. All my stuff is brand new and it's still a complete bitch to pop out. The last time I had to pull the engine/trans I just left the axle in. It's 100x easier to get out when the trans is laying on the garage floor.

mitsuturbo

I'm very curious as to how you got the transmission out without removing the RH side axle.

I have always used a flathead screwdriver, and i just tap it in between the axle cup and the diff, and it pops right out.

beaner

I'm to the point now where I just pull the entire longblock/trans out at once. It's way easier. The axle is just along for the ride on the way out.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned