The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Evo 9 pistons on Eagle rods

dsmtalontsi95

Well since I got duped on the JE piston thing I did some searching. What do you guys think of evo9 pistons on eagle rods? What do you think they will hold? I plan on running a holset hx35 on this motor with around 25 psi. Probably looking for 400hp ish with room to grow.

3rdstrikedsm

Would hold that with no problems as stock evo 8-9 longblocks have gone 9's but there is a ton of stock motor 10 sec evo's out there 400whp without breaking a sweat.

dsmtalontsi95

I've seen people say I may need to re-aim my oil squiters. Where do I aim them? I found this click Does this mean I can't just dingle-barrey the cylinder walls and drop them in?

*EDIT*Also with this info do I need to bore the rods to accept the pistons? click which says the pin is .827 and the stock pin on the pistons are 22mm and equals to .866

Last edited:

broxma

You are going to be using 1G 6 bolt Eagle rods, which will have to be machined to accept the different wrist pin size. After the purchase of the Evo pistons and the machining to get them on, you will have spent about 100.00 shy of simply getting a set of 9-1 Wiseco's.

A better bet is just get the Evo piston/1G rod combo from that company and be done with it. The 1G rods are wicked strong, forged, shot peened and machined rods. In the words of Corky Bell, "The nicest factory rod I have ever seen."

/brox

RedTwo

I see you guys don't get the 'semi forged' nonsense put onto everything /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

dsmtalontsi95

Quoting broxma:
You are going to be using 1G 6 bolt Eagle rods, which will have to be machined to accept the different wrist pin size. After the purchase of the Evo pistons and the machining to get them on, you will have spent about 100.00 shy of simply getting a set of 9-1 Wiseco's.

A better bet is just get the Evo piston/1G rod combo from that company and be done with it. The 1G rods are wicked strong, forged, shot peened and machined rods. In the words of Corky Bell, "The nicest factory rod I have ever seen."

/brox

I got the rods already from a motor I was going to use but it had a bad JE piston, I can't get that piston from JE anymore. So I have Eagle rods already. I Picked up evo 9 rods for $100 shipped. So I figure it was more cost effective to go that route then dropping the 500 on new ones and it will put around my goal comfterbly.

Just wondering, which JE Piston model number did you have? I have a set of JE's that I got from a friend and their waiting to be dropped into my 2.3 stroker 6bolt motor, on 1g rods and a 4g64 crank.

dsmtalontsi95

They don't have a part number on them. I called them and they said that if there is no part number on them then they are atleast 6yrs old and they no longer carry that style.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting 3rdstrikedsm:
1g rods are cast^^

Stock rods? No, they're not. Where did you get that idea?

bmxr152

I had 1g Big rods on evo 9 pistons, and i didn't have to do anything different besides flip the pistons so that its opposite from an evo.

dsmtalontsi95

anyone know the part number for stock evo 9 piston rings (oem)?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned