The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Are My Pistons OK To Use? --Pictures Inside--

mean_green

Starting to get to the reassembly of my motor now that its back from being machined and I am a little hesitant to use these. Would like some second opinions because my machinist said nothing about them and the other people I've asked haven't worked on 4g63s or anthing remotely close, they just said if they're not cracked to use them... This true?? Someone did a valve job before I purchased the car and used valves fifty thousands too long I think my machinist said. Anyway please let me know what you think if I should go after some standard bore Wisecos or something? TIA -Alan

TSimage

If you can afford pistons, upgrade to a higher compression for performance however if you're on a budget then you'll be fine with those. just make sure there are no burrs on it and you'll be fine. We made roughly 600whp on a stock block motor that had kissed the valves and been reused. Motor still runs strong to this day.

SmoothCustomer

If you can switch anyway and you aren't going for super high hp I would probably go with 2g pistons myself as they would also be wayyy cheaper than wisecos. But sorry for that thread jack haha I couldn't tell you if they would work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

mean_green

Well it's not really in my budget for new pistons but as any true american, car enthusiast should say "I can throw it on one of the cards" I just don't want to if I don't have to...

So de-burring would be like taking a grinder or sander to them and smoothing them down?

Would I see any real hp gains going to a higher compression piston like the Wiseco STD bores that are 9.0:1? and would they work on my stock rods? This build is needing more and more, guess welcome to Mistu life... lol.

3rdstrikedsm

Those are useable if you smooth out the ridges however you could just get some evo 8-9 pistons which are 9 to 1 and much much stronger than those you have.

Jesh

I've had my pistons hit my valves 2 different times, I just smoothed out the notch they made best i could and i've never had any problems. my 2 cents... i would run them.

mitsuturbo

Quoting SmoothCustomer:
If you can switch anyway and you aren't going for super high hp I would probably go with 2g pistons myself as they would also be wayyy cheaper than wisecos. But sorry for that thread jack haha I couldn't tell you if they would work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Taking the machine work into account, and the cost associated... it's not that much more to just go with forged pistons.

Ian M

Infamous 4g63 timing belt failure at some point in its life. I haven't seen many 4g63s with mileage on them where the pistons haven't looked like that.

Deburr the nicks with a die grinder and a sanding roll and they'll be fine.

Last edited:

mean_green

Thanks guys for all the info and suggestions.

I think I'm going to stick it out w these pistons since I'm not going for a hp monster just a fun DD and little weekend warrior status.

My next question is does anyone have a nice write-up or how-to on deburring or reconditioning pistons like this? Looks like I'll need to source a die grinder and what other materials will I need?

I haven't had a chance to look around for a walk thru so I was hoping to get lucky and get a link on here, maybe I'll find some time tonight to search dsmtuners or somewhere.

mitsuturbo

Quoting HHIVR4:
If money is the main factor Im sure you can find a stock set of pistons on the cheap @ dsmtrader,egay,here etc.
Brand new set for $100

Does anyone even USE dsmtrader anymore, or has it been taken over by nigerians?
I haven't used it since well before they went to the new site some number of years ago.

belize1334

For the price of NPR pistons on ebay I wouldn't bother reusing those.

IncorpoRatedX

short answer:

Yes

De-bur them to prevent any hot spots

alansupra94

Quoting belize1334:
For the price of NPR pistons on ebay I wouldn't bother reusing those.

About to say that too.

If my 2G pistons weren't spotless, I would have gotten NPR ones. Already got NPR 2G piston rings....just have to wait for the damn filer.

mean_green

Thanks guys for all the response. Yes the black areas on the last piston is just some carbon build up.

I think I am just going to stick w going w these if a buddy can show me how to de-burr them since the internet isn't friendly to my searches (or I don't know what to search correctly)

I should just go w some forged ones but I just got the block matched honed to these exact pistons, so thats why I haven't even looked into some stock pistons replacements. Yes I should've looked more into these pistons or you would have thought the machiniest would have warned me about this but thats my pure n00bie-ness coming thru once again. Oh well live and learn, sometime spending more money while you're at it, lol.

-Alan

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned