The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Which cam is which

deez

I am thinking of putting the stock cams back in the car tomorrow, never done it before, and was wondering how you identify which cam is intake and which is exhaust?

deez

that makes it easy. And is it really necessary to bleed off the lifters prior to putting it all back together?

SmoothCustomer

I don't know much about bleeding them, but I absolutely did. It's really not hard at all, just read the vfaq and you will have no problem. The hard part is not breaking the paperclip off in there if you don't have 3g lifters. I broke one off in there and thank god it didn't go all the way inside and I was able to get it out with a magnet.

H05TYL

Quoting deez:
that makes it easy. And is it really necessary to bleed off the lifters prior to putting it all back together?

Yes.

Unless... You turn the crank 90º from tdc so all the pistons are halfway up/down the bores, then fit the cams, tighten the cam caps, then leave it overnight. In the morning turn the crank back 90º to tdc and install the timing belts as normal.

Adorsey

Just pull the belt off and reset the timing mark at the crank, check the cam gears for their marks both across the head horizontally and make sure they are parallel vertically(the correct top* of the gear is up) and put the belt on with the slack on the exhuast side, where the tentioner can tighten it up.
You got it

Last edited:

SouthCaliVR4

This just never works on mitsus. they have a "special" tool to screw into the cover that compresses the hydraulic tensioner that would allow you to do it that way but I just never try it, to risky with a mitsu twin cam of any series, they always end up off.

Last edited by a moderator:

deez

Its getting towed in half an hour. I am over it. And I used that tool to slack the belt, things still didn't work out. Its for sale.....

mitsuturbo

Odd. I've never had any problem getting the timing belt on properly. I don't see how anyone could have such a problem with it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

fuel

Did you lock the hydraulic tensioner before removing the cambelt from the cam gears?

Adorsey

The tentioner pulley must be tight, before you pull the pin on your tentioner. The two pin holes on the outside of the pulley, should be at 11 and 1 oclock, To at least get it good and tight. If, your balance shafts are out you dont have to line that up at all. Idk /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Make sure both cams can even line up, you might have to turn just one cam before you put it at tdc.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts