The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Gates T-belt.

Adorsey

So I finished putting my car together tonight, and "overlooked" where a bolt was missing in my front case, when It was on the stand a little bit ago.
She started up and ran good, just with oil pissing out the front case on to my new Gates T-belt.
Any suggestions? Any past experience? Should I buy a new one? Run it?
Thanks

Brunoboy

New belt, neer reuse one with oil on it

Jesh

+1^ If it got soaked in oil get a new one. It will make the teeth get soft and at some point they will get stripped off. I've been through 3 Goodyear timing belts and it cost me 2 sets of valves and a lot of headache. I've had bolts fall out in the timing cover and get wedged between the cover and the crank pulley. Only ran for about 15 seconds and it chewed halfway through my gates timing belt. I was honestly impressed how durable it was. I highly recommend replacing it.

Street Surgeon

Bite the bullet, learn from that mistake, and get a new timing belt.

Are you guys running the blue gates t-belts? I had been debating on buying one of those or HKS. They are a little cheaper than the HKS.
Oh and +1 on replacing the tbelt. If it just got a little oil on it, I'd say brakeleen and run it, but if it really soaked it, thats no bueno.

Brunoboy

Never brakeclean belts, brakexleaner eats everything away

Adorsey

It ended up not being to bad and me just overreacting.
I ended up putting it back on, and to test if that was the only problem with the front case was me missing a bolt. But it seems there is something else thats not wanting to work out for me. Driping oil from the timing cover @1am last night put me through the roof.
Car is done, Im getting frustrated. New plan, -Pull timing belt
-Pull front case
-Inspect, use other fc if needed
-Buy t belt
-Get this b*%#h on the road!

arrrr /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Adorsey

Just found a large crack in the front case, above the idler pully.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned