The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

big 16g problems

lyleseth

I bought a big 16g off of a guy and was told it was the right set up for what i wanted and as far as i could tell it was.. but once i got and started to put it on i realized that the intake side is on the right instead of the left when i bolt it up. Im guessing i have the wrong exhaust flange?? im not really sure what to do cause i am not super enlightened when it comes to turbos. I would love all the help i can get on this. Thanks ahead of time.

Brunoboy

either you have an Evo 16g or your facing it the wrong way.

fuel

facepalm. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

That's an Evo4-9 twin reverse scroll turbo. The engines in the Evo4-9 sit 180deg to the engines in our GVR-4s. What you can do however is use that exhaust manifold and fit an Evo X turbo, then the intake and exhaust are now on the correct sides.

An Evo1-3 16G turbo and manifold will bolt on in place of the 14B.

2of9

facepalm

that's definitely a Evo turbo setup.

Quoting fuel:
What you can do however is use that exhaust manifold and fit an Evo X turbo

Very interesting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif I have yet to see that setup. I take it you've already seen it done?

Last edited by a moderator:

Did a bit of poking around, this is all I found:
click
Looks nice. So I'm trying to find something definitive that the Evo X turbo on the 8/9 manifold will sit where it needs to in the engine bay, and will physically bolt together. I plan on eventually running the E316G, but this sounds more interesting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

fuel

whoops I think I perhaps recalled the details just a little incorrectly, but anyway the Evo X TD06SL2-20G is the correct orientation as shown here (mounted to an Evo1-3 4G63 engine)

P1000346.jpg

but it appears the flange is not quite the same as per the Evo4-9 flange, so a custom manifold will need to be made or the correct flange adapted to an existing manifold.

P1000341.jpg

belize1334

Where does one get the turbo? Is this a factory upgrade or are we talking about tuner-shops?

I saw a couple on EvoM and ebay.
Nice manifold, but that isn't the Evo X turbo. The Evo X turbo is a i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp20/Fitzpadj/DSC00946.jpg[/img] . That turbo in the picture is a TD06SL2-20G.
This is an E10 turbo.
DSC00946.jpg

So far it looks like the the EvoX turbo is pretty sweet, twin-scroll means fast spool, more low end torque, but the expensive part is the manifold. I suppose if you have the fab skills or know someone who does then you're set. I think when the time comes rather than the FP manifold and the E316G I will try to make this happen. But that is quite a ways down the road.

Hi-Jack off. As for the OP, I don't think the turbo or manifold is going to do much for you. I'd sell it and just buy a turbo that will fit.

Last edited by a moderator:

NateCrisman

You guys do realize that all this work with custom manifolds, custom oil and water lines, and R&D will end up with a turbo setup that is realistically the same as a bolt on Evo3-16g that fits correctly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

How do you figure? 10>3 correct? The E316G is a great turbo, and is(was?) seriously my plan for my car. However having seen the E10 turbo on an Evo I and how quickly it spools, being twin scroll vs single scroll of the E3, I would have to say it is an evolution in turbo design. Sure its not really any larger than the E316G, but quicker spooling = /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif for me.

curtis

It will work...... Paul and I have been talking forever about this project long before he picked up his second car. Seems like the physical dims are the same, angle of flange offset to one side etc so our plan has been to just get a sch40 header and cut off the head flange and weld on a 4G63 flange and be done. At first the headers were big money but slowly the price has been dropping. No reason to spend 20 to 30 an elbow and all the fab time to build one when a cheaper one can be bought and just adapted to a 4G63 with a simple flat flange or with one of the cast ams units.

NateCrisman

Quoting Speed_Racer:
How do you figure? 10>3 correct? The E316G is a great turbo, and is(was?) seriously my plan for my car. However having seen the E10 turbo on an Evo I and how quickly it spools, being twin scroll vs single scroll of the E3, I would have to say it is an evolution in turbo design. Sure its not really any larger than the E316G, but quicker spooling = /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif for me.

No I actually don't consider 10>3 just because it's newer. As far as I can tell, the Evo3 16g compressor can make just as much power as the Evo8/9 stock turbo and the Evo10 turbo is actually smaller than the 8/9. My gut feeling is we are splitting hairs between any of these 16g varients in power and spool and it's simply not worth the hassle and cost. Granted, I don't bother with worrying about spoolup until the turbo has issues on gear shifts at the dragstrip. But whatever works for you and your goals. If you are worried about spool, I'd be running a 6cm/14b instead. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

cheekychimp

Nate,

I think you are probably correct in terms of the stock EVO X turbo. The interest in this setup created by the DSMTuners thread was because a 20G was swapped in place of the 15G OEM unit giving more power with no noticeable difference in spool up.

It has been suggested before and probably quite correctly that the EVO III seems to make more power as the huge chunk of metal dividing up the passages of the twin scroll is an obvious restriction. I think it is likely that this turbo spools faster but makes less power than an EVO III but very likely more power than a 14B.

I'm not preaching to you in any way shape or form but here in Hong Kong there are roads where I am sure the EVO X turbo would be better.

Paul.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts