The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Removing rear wheel bearings from axle shaft?

Romanova

Bought a 8" puller from HF, thought the 'feet' on the puller are shaped in such a way that they don't grab onto the bottom of the bearing. Any suggestions or recommendations? Going to see if AutoZone's tool rental program has anything that will work...

mitsuturbo

If you're talking about what i think you're talking about, i think i used a press when i did that job before.

Muskrat

Dead blow hammer on the stub?

Regular hammer and a piece of wood?

You're replacing the wheel bearing right?

Romanova

attachment.php

Thats what I am trying to do... I guess a bearing seperator and the press might work? Not sure what to secure the bearing to to hammer it out....

jepherz

Staff member
I was able to do mine with a bearing puller. They are all such different shapes that it's a toss up.

bazeng

There is a thread somewhere where I put a bunch of pics up doin this... Anyway, I used one of those flat sandwich type pullers... Came off easy!

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I think I put mine in the vise (bearing against the vise jaws) studs down like you have it, and hit the end of the shaft with a dead blow hammer.

Struc

Did you try flipping the puller jaws around the other way? I *just* got done doing it in my garage a few minutes ago, and needed to flip my jaws around the other way so they fit properly under the bearing & dust cap. At least for my passenger side. The drivers side bearings & abs ring stayed in my control arm when I pulled that one apart. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Adorsey

That way will work if you switch the arms around, and if you have access to a impact driver, it will come off. The new bearing goes on easier than getting it off so just have at it and wack it off if you need to.

**Hey! There is an impact on there...

Last edited:

Romanova

Quoting Romanova:
image_2833.jpg

Looks like that is what I need...

Just a follow up... that HF bearing puller worked super slick and made quick work of the rear shaft bearings and covers. Very pleased with the purchase, which was $50 after 20% off.

And the HF three jaw puller wasn't worth a sh*t. Waste of $10.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned