The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

transmission compatibility?

turbofoxlx

hey guys, i just picked up a trans for 332/1k and was trying to decode it. the code on the trans is w5m332-wqwk and from what ive found this trans has a lsd, my question is would this be a direct replacement for my ride or would something else be needed to put it in?
thanks, mario

turbofoxlx

so i did some research and discovered that this trans is 3.909 final drive, close ratio, viscous front LSD out of a galant rs. is it worth the time or trouble trying to get this trans to work or should i sell it and get something that is a direct replacement? what do you guys think

If it were my decision I would try to get it to work. Is just a rear end with the same gear ratio all that is needed to get it to work?

Jesh

I believe that you would just need a different rear diff. My galant gsx parts car has a 3.909 final drive and would be a good source, and if i recall correctly the transfer case is a 1:1 ratio on all these cars (referring to dsm's and galant vr4's) but i could be way off on that one. Someone else will hopefully chime in and help you out.

Wizardawd

He's correct about the T-case ratio being the same for all Pre-96 AWD cars.

97+ AWD the ratio was changed. That includes ATs and MTs, DSMs, Colt Vistas, etc.

Wiz

mitsuturbo

Quoting turbofoxlx:
so i did some research and discovered that this trans is 3.909 final drive, close ratio, viscous front LSD out of a galant rs. is it worth the time or trouble trying to get this trans to work or should i sell it and get something that is a direct replacement? what do you guys think

IIRC, It's really easy to tear into the transmission and swap out the front diff ring and pinion so that it will match your 3.545 rear end. I've done it a couple times with GGSX/DSM transmissions.
I believe the AUTO rear diffs are also 3.909, so you could probably find one of those easily as well.
The transfer cases are not 1:1, but combined with the final drive, it multiplies/divides out and equivocates the rear diff ratio to the front diff ratio.

Last edited:

turbofoxlx

I would like to make this trany work but would prefer to keep the 3.545 gearing because i do a lot of highway driving. I have a few questions, if I changed out the diff ring and pinion gears in the trans would I have to get rid of the lsd? What is the benefit of the close ratio gear set and does this trans have a shorter 5th? thank for all your responses

Last edited:

mitsuturbo

The best way to figure it out would be to take both cases apart, and start comparing.
Once you're looking at it, it all just seems to make sense, at least for me. Also, i've no idea what the LSD diff looks like, so i can't say if things would bolt together properly. Maybe the ring gear is different somehow, although i doubt it. It should be 100% do-able to make the gearset AND diff work. I haven't been in a w5m3x trans for a while, but IIRC, the intermediate shaft drives the center diff, which in turn drives the Tcase, and the pinion shaft for the front diff, with the VCU taking up any slack on the other end of things. So, yeah.. you should actually also be able to swap just fine, so long as the ring gear will fit on the LSD diff.

turboaddict

the auto rear ends are a 3.307 not a 3.909. also with the front diff that you have you will need to change it out along with the front ring and pinion. There are 2 different versions of a factory front lsds: a mechanical that is very rare and the viscous front lsd, the machanical does not need special front axels the viscous lsd does need an axel that is longer (the cup is longer)to fit as the splines are farther inside of the diff. also we didnt get a 3.909 rear over here so they are again next to impossible to find.

hope this helps.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned