The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Stock boost gauge

I've tried everything and cant find the reason why my stock boost gauge stopped working. Wondering if this has ever happend to anyone or if anyone has any ideas of what it could be?

Diego

Did it ever work?..... I would believe that the stock guage still has a sending unit somewhere under the hood next to the bcs, and a vac. hose also.

Maybe one of the 2 stopped working... maybe the LEDs just deciede to die.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Yeah it worked. It just decided to stop working about 2 weeks ago. With the key on it illuminates half way. When i start the motor it pulls down like it should but then, nothing. Car does boost but not according to the stock gauge lol.

jepherz

Staff member
There is no sending unit. This is obvious because Keydiver can burn you a new eprom that changes the operation of the gauge. The stock boost gauge is just a guess made by the ECU as to how much boost/vacuum you are pulling based on the load on the engine.

I am not quite sure how the signal is sent from the ECU to the dash, but I have read posts from Keydiver saying the signal is PWM based across a single wire. I guess you could check continuity across whichever wire that is, and then try swapping out ECUs, and lastly try swapping out the dash.

I have changed ecu's thinking that may be the problem but nothing. Really don't want to pull out the dash to fix it. I was just hoping it was something easy.

steve

I think he meant the gauge cluster, which is very easy to pull and swap (if you can find another to use).

Ah my bad. Yeah I should have another one in a day or so . I just picked up a clean roller with full drive train just no motor. I'll see what happens .

jepherz

Staff member
Ahh yep, my bad. I'm curious if the cluster is bad if it's repairable in any case.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned