The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

91 gvr4 no spark

i have a 91 galant vr4, when i got it they said it needed a ecu, so i got the ecu in it but it still has no spark, im pretty sure the injectors are working, but not 100 percent sure, and we havent been able to use a scan tool on it to see if that would help

broxma

Signal for spark is relatively linear going from the ECU driver circuit, to the ignitor, from the ignitor to the coil pack. If you have a known good ECU, you really only have two things to check other than the wiring and the spark plug wires themselves. Fortunately, both the ignitor and coil pack are cheap and easy to swap. I would do this first however.

Take the ignitor harness clip and unplug it. Look at the ignitor itself and it has letters on it which correspond to the ground, tach, and spark in and out. Check for ground at the corresponding wire on the harness. Without an oscilloscope, you won't be able to accurately read the signal to the ignitor for the positive, but you should be able to tell if it is there. If so, grab a dummy light and check the wires themselves.

Basically, confirm everything you possibly can, then eliminate things individually. If you find no signal going to the coil pack from the ignitor, but have voltage going in to the ignitor, new ignitor. If you have output voltage to the coil pack and no spark at any plug end, new coil pack.

Subsequently, if you do confirm, and I don't mean just guess, it is either of these things, I have spares here in the garage and can send you them gratis if you pay shipping.

/brox

Diego

Not quite sure where Urbana is....... but if your close to TylerAdamson, he could help you prolificly

mitsuturbo

FIRST thing i'd do, is remove the CAS from the head... Key all the way on (run position) i'd spin the cas and listen for two things... spark, and injector firing. If you're getting injector clicks, and no spark, then yes..... power tr, and coilpack. Otherwise, if no injector OR spark.. replace CAS.

EDIT: Of course, the cas has to be plugged into the harness, and you dont spin the whole thing.. just the part the cam would be spinning if the engine were turning over. Forgive my illegibility. I've been had a couple of drunk a little bit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts