The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Power Steering Issue

KiNgMaRtY

So I replaced my power steering pump with a Kragen 1g pump as it was leaking. They have in their system, as I checked online, and so do all the other auto parts stores indicate that the 1g and VR4 use the same power pump. At idle the new pump will not give any assist and the steering wheel will be very hard to turn. If I rev the engine it will then assist. I thought it was just a faulty pump so I tried 3 others and the same issue. Unfortunately I turned in the pump I originally had for a core. The brand started with a K like Kitana or something like that. I jacked up the front end of the car with the reservoir open and turned the wheels to bleed the system. The little sensor routing towards the alternator is connected. I took it to Road Race Engineering a few months ago and they could not figure it out. Any ideas on what else it could be? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

SouthCaliVR4

Well, it is highly unlikely three pumps all have the same problem, but then again I have seen such a thing, if all three where the same brand. If you get a couple fittings & a high pres gauge you could remove the press line & test to see what if any kind of pump pressure you're getting. Otherwise I would vote for rack failure. do you still have 4WS & if you do does it feel like you get a bit of power steering over 35mph? With the main pump out the rear pump will assist the whole system a bit when it kicks in & would point to a bad main pump otherwise back to the rack having failed. It's not as common but it does happen.

KiNgMaRtY

All 3 were the same A1 Cardone remanufactured pumps. I had the rack replaced last week and the issue remains. 4ws still remains. The issue was present the moment of the power steering pump swap. It would assist perfectly before. Any knowledge if maybe the 4ws pump pulley and the 1g pumps as the same size?

Last edited:

SouthCaliVR4

if there was a size difference It would still kick in if you raised the rpms. So before you swapped pumps, other than a leak, everything worked fine? Definitely your getting bogus pumps. Get a pump from another source, even if it's the local pull a part, if everything goes back to working file a claim with the auto parts store. they'll owe you some reimbursement for all the hassle & expense. It may be harder to achieve being an individual rather than a shop but if you get a hold of their district manager & threaten a lawsuit they should kick you a few bucks just to make it go away. But you have to prove their crap part caused the mess first by getting a good one on there & having the system work, used or new will not matter, I'd shoot you one if I had it but perhaps some other board member has one they can donate to the cause.

Last edited:

KiNgMaRtY

Yes, everything was fine before the pump. It would just leak and killed about 2-3 alternators. If I would have known then that I could just of replaced the seals I would of done that. I

mitsuturbo

Quoting KiNgMaRtY:
All 3 were the same A1 Cardone remanufactured pumps. I had the rack replaced last week and the issue remains. 4ws still remains. The issue was present the moment of the power steering pump swap. It would assist perfectly before. Any knowledge if maybe the 4ws pump pulley and the 1g pumps as the same size?

Where the hell did you find a 4ws rack? just curious

KiNgMaRtY

It was not easy finding one. I ordered one from Kragen and Autozone and they ended up refunding me the money because they could not find a core. I was able to source one out from click /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

mitsuturbo

How did you find this?! This is a very good price. These racks won't be available forever. If i made more money, i'd be buying a couple just to stockpile them due to rarity. I hope they're available for a while, because i'm sure i'll need one at some point.

KiNgMaRtY

They actually called me to tell me the day after my order that they actually did not have one. He did some searching for meant some of his warehouses while I was on the phone and tracked one down. It even came with the inbred tie rods and boots. When he told menthT they did not have any he offered to rebuild mine so it's q good spot. I was getting a bit desperate so I found them just through a basic google search. The beauty of it is that it does come with warranty too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quoting mitsuturbo:

Where the hell did you find a 4ws rack? just curious

There is a rebuilder here in denver with a couple of the front ones(4 port).

KiNgMaRtY

So I am happy to report back that I was able to get an OEM used PS pump from a member here and it solved my power steering issue. At idle I know have PS assist /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned