The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Killed the battery, now I'm getting a bunch of weird problems.

Boostdtalon

Ok I was a tard and left my parking lights on while at school yesterday. I got a jump and drove home. I noticed on the way home I was getting a electrical whine for about 500 rpms. Around 2700-3200. Everything was working as far as I could tell. Well went back out last night and noticed a bunch of new things. My sunroof and interior light stopped working. My locks would engage once the car was in motion. And while in that same RPM range my security light would light. It would brighten with the pitch of the whine/rpm. Now this morning my wipers are barely working and my clock doesn't work.

Here's a video clip from last night.
click

SouthCaliVR4

I would reccomend checking the charging system & pray that you do find the problem there. Might want to try putting a full charge on the batt, the alt is working hard with a good battery trying to bring up a dead one could cause issues but I have not seen this type of thing.

Sounds like a fried alternator, but overcharging, not undercharging. Or the battery is junk and the alternator is straining to bring it back. You didn't accidentally reverse polarity when you jumped it did you?

Also check the alternator fuse. It is the only one that is bolted into the fuse box underhood. Front left corner of the fuse box. (As you are sitting in the car.)

ktmrider

Same symptoms I have seen b4 the alternator dies.

Could be from the jump or like mentioned the alt was in so-so shape and trying to revive a dead battery sped up the failure.

Boostdtalon

Well Tomorrow I'm going to pull the battery and have it tested. The only bad fuse I found with a visual inspection was my clock.so I'll see how that goes and update everyone.

Boostdtalon

ok got the battery charged and reinstalled. still did not fix the problem i'm having with the interior lights, seat belt, and sunroof not working.

SouthCaliVR4

Basics, check all the fuses, use a test light or meter. check your grounds & power conections.

RedTwo

Do you have a voltage gauge or turbo timer with a voltage display? If it displays any more than 14.7v at any time shut the car off immediately.

SouthCaliVR4

I'm thinking the ctm is fried. Under the dash above the silver metal cruise control box is a black plastic box, this is the ctm & controls everything you are having issue with. Maybe one of the part-out guys will make you a deal on one. this module controls, wiper speed (variable intermittent) int light delay, seat belt retractors power windows & sunroof along with the OE alarm.

It is what times out the dome light & gives you the 20 sec or so to roll up windows & close sunroof after ignition is turned off. It speeds up the intermitant wipers with road speed. It sounds as though something in there has shorted & is crossing circuits. I don't believe it would be related to any clock issues but might be, I don't have my wiring diagrams with me at the moment.

If all the fuses are good and all connections are solid this is the only thing I can think of that sounds like a potential cause of your issues. be ready to cuss, that module is a pain to get at.

Boostdtalon

well i'll give that a look and get back too you. The clock is fixed now and that didn't work for a busted fuse. I found a previous thread about someones sunroof not working. So I was able to get my sunroof closed; the only crappy part is that the bolt that manually closes the sunroof broke right before i got it closed.

well after replacing one section of wiring harness in this car. Getting to that won't be super annoying.

381gvr4

Its the alt fuse under the hood! 4 fuse block connected to pos side of the battery. Clear top so its easy to see that it is blown. The new one will be only a few buck. The fuse has two screws on the underside. Fix her already /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited:

mitsu90

I agree with the bolt in alt. fuse being blown.. I blew one on my old talon and it messed up all sorts of things..

Boostdtalon

Well I replaced the alt. fuse and checked a few others. I am now certain that the my alternator is done for. So going to pull that tomorrow and get it rebuilt.

Boostdtalon

Ok i've looked at the schematic i have for my car and about the only thing i can come up with right now is that my seatbelt control unit is dead. I've checked both fuses and they are fine. This is the only thing on my car that is not working at the moment. maybe i should look for a manual seatbelt setup from an 89' or get me a set of harnesses.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts