The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Cheap Antilag

vrfour_nz

I had a spare bypass valve from a Evo 7 that normally goes from pre- throttle intercooler pipe to exhaust manifold,and decided to plumb it in the same as the Evo 3 Group A cars had..using the EGR port that goes from beside the intake port through to the exhaust port on number 4 cylinder. I have also connected a normally closed relay to the ignition timing plug through a vacuum switch to retard the timing when it sees vacuum/decel. Heres a vid on the practice run at last Sunday's sprint of what it sounds like on the car. click
Haven't tryed out the open relay that pulses a coil on vacuum/decel & idle bypass yet due to blowing a piston last sunday..should be good flames on the way though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif.

Last edited:

mitsuturbo

I'm confused.
Is this cramming fresh air through the EGR system, or scavenging exhaust and dumping it into the intact tract?

curtis

I think the way these work it forces in fresh air in the exhaust which of course contains oxygen, this explodes in the manifold to keep the turbine spooled up beyond what it would be at a give at a give throttle position.

JNR

That's cool...how hard is it one the turbine blade and/or turbo bearings, or whatnot?

vrfour_nz

factory turbine/shafts are great and take a beating,chinese knock offs don't. the turbine piston ring/seal is a custom higher tension one i make that i normally use in the group n rally evos. i use the later Evo 3 7cm exhaust housing with nickel to stop the cracking problem,but instead the nickel stuffs threads. i don't run water through the bearing body to stop the water boiling through heat soak of the exhaust housing. the bearings get replaced once a season(1000 racing kms)running 24psi.

Last edited:

mitsuturbo

Some years ago, i had a keydiver chip with NLTS set at 5500. I wired the timing ground to a pwr/eco switch, put the other side to ground, and took out the part of the switch that locks it down when depressed. Thus becoming a mom-switch, it became my timing retard for added spool up at speed (and sometimes at launch).

mitsuturbo

Well, it worked for me. I know that much.
Before the button, i couldn't make more than about 5-6psi off the stutter. This was good for launching, but more boost from a roll was where it was fun/useful. I could build about 12-14psi without a problem after grounding the timing out.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts