The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Downpipe centerline radius

JD Squared is having a sale on tube benders. The Model 32 is marked down $200, so even though I'm not ready to start this project yet, it wouldn't be a bad idea to purchase the bender now at this price. My goal is to build a downpipe-back exhaust out of 2.5" stainless. I might as well get the die set right now with the bender just to save on shipping in the future. Probably a long shot question, but does anyone happen to know the centerline radius of the downpipe?

Edit: No, I cant measure it myself anytime soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

TylerAdamson

Wrong kind of bender. The jd2 benders are designed to bend thick walled tube/pipe for chassis fabrications. The biggest die you can buy is 2''. If you try bending exhaust pipe, it will crush it.

JD Squared lists a 2.5" round tube die for the Model 32.

Model 32

I'm planning on using a Bend Tooling mandrel and wiper die to prevent pipe collapse. I'm still looking into the details, but as far as I can tell, the high-dollar mandrel benders are nothing but a rotary draw bender with hydraulics, a cable system for the mandrel, a long bed, and may be programmable. Provided a means for positioning the mandrel and wiper, I dont see why it can't bend 0.049" tube. The clamp die might collapse it I suppose, but I'd think a high-friction rubber insert or something would prevent clamping slippage with less pressure.

Edit: Unless there's some other reason you can think of?

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned