The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

8.8 in a GVR4

Terrance362

What would be the goods and bad of a 8.8 in a VR4. I saw one in a 2g at the shootout. I dunno why but I want one. I think I ma in love:)

boostedinaz

Anything can be done with enough skill or money. The question is why?

NateCrisman

I'd bet you would save a ton of weight installing a 1960's solid axle rear suspension. seriously! The rear subframe/diff/control arms in a DSM/GVR4 is retarted heavy. converting the rear suspension to ladderbar or 4link with aftermarket parts would likely be far lighter. Good luck on the driveshaft though.

TylerAdamson

The Ford 8.8 rear diffs are a fair bit stronger than our 3 or 4 bolt diffs. They are commonly found on the Explorers, Rangers, and most of the Ford medium duty trucks/suvs. Stronger axles and such are also readily available for them.

Last edited:

SouthCaliVR4

I'd rather not give up the handling benefits of the independent rear. Of course I do very little drag racing & would be more than fine with a four bolt, especially given I have yet to hurt my three bolt stocker.

boostedinaz

Keep in mond this will be far from a bolt on affair and will require a decent amount of fab work.

curtis

So what ring and pinion are they using a 3:55 to 1.

And was it a straight axle or a IRS from a cobra. As for holding the power and torque they will but parasitic drag maybe a few % more and yes fab will be serious. Axle lenght for one and the list goes on and on. As for weight there farking heavy, I know I've probably set up 30 ring and pinions and blew up my share of them. If you want to shorten the tubes don't use c clip eliminators and try and go road course racing, Its actually beter to use the 9 inch ends if I remember correctly. Mine had c clip eliminators so I just left them. auburn pro diffs kick ass and they can be set up to out handle just about anything you want with enough effort. My old car had heim joint ends on custom bars and had about a 3 inch drop shackle on the lower rear to change the cg and instant center that with the pan hard rod and 5 way tokicos put me in the hunt for bikes most weekends. If you do try it and have to run factory style springs get the stock convertible ones (87- 93) there a stiffer rate than even the aftermarket ones.

So an 8.8 on a rwd conversion? There is actually an old guy here in town that built a tube chassis with a narrowed 9" blown sbc and a lenco, then dropped a 1g shell over the top of it. It was his answer to the import craze. I tried talking him into building a ridiculous 4g63 but he wasn't interested. I can't see doing a 4 link and a NARROWED 8.8 under a AWD gvr4.

boostedinaz

I can't see doing this at all unless he is breaking rear end after rear end with a very high HP car.

Terrance362

well it has been on a 2g AWD eclipse.SO I guess I will have to do it because people say it cant be done, and also because it will be nice.

boostedinaz

No one is saying it can't be done. It's just metal and with the right fab skills ANYTHING can be done with metal. What people are saying is that it will be a lot of work for something that may not even be needed.

So again, why do you think you need 8.8 in your Galant other than "well a 2G had it"? Are you talking about a solid axle 8.8 or an IRS 8.8? Do you plan on keeping it AWD or going RWD only? Do you have the fab skills to make somethign ike this work? Etc.....

Last edited:

Terrance362

It will be the IRS. I am still researching the whole thing. And yes I do have the skills to fab it up. The car would remain AWD. I am still weighing out the intire issue of the weight of the rear end. A 3 bolt or 4 bolt would be lighter but have they been broken??? That 8.8 would be a sure thing that I would not have to worry about. I dont know for sure but the option is still on the table.

boostedinaz

You would have to research gear options as well if you are keeping the AWD. They make a ton of gear sets for 8.8s but is one available that matches our ratio exatly?

I'll be honest I don't see the need for this other than the "I want to" factor. I do wish you luck and REALLY hope to see the end result.

Last edited:

mitsuturbo

I could be way out of line here, but i honestly believe if you have never broken a 4 bolt, or even a 3 bolt rear end, then odds are you have NO business trying to put some monster domestic drag only rear end into the car. If you're breaking 4 bolt rear ends, you're well on your way to sub 10 second passes, or doing something wrong. Before you even THINK about needing to install a big rear end like that, you're going to have to have a full cage, scattershield, and a laundry list of other regulation mandated parts.

curtis

Theres a place near Nashville called Delk performance they specialize in Mustangs. The IRS cobra guys like straight live axles so they have a supply of the cobra IRS for sure but one thing not brought up yet is the Tbirds. Super coupes got 8.8 IRS and there's plenty in junkyards for cheap and I think the mark 8's and Lincoln Ls got them as well. Ford is notorious about changing sheetmetal and calling it something else. Only thing I question is the ratio but at 3.55 compared to ours and the 1.09 or whatever it is transfer case it maybe just right.

This might help click me... ...they talk about the Marks having aluminum housings. Not as strong but probably 75 lbs lighter

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts