The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

01 Galant oil light

Spyder

Hey all.

Brief description of the situation.

After driving the car for a while, pull up to a stop light still in gear, oil light comes on with a slight flicker.

Changed the oil as it was old, still happens.

Sensor or pump?

Any ideas? 2.4L 4cyl auto 115K miles.

Thanks!

SouthCaliVR4

what weight oil are you running? Unless the sender is leaking it's hard to say if it's bad. In your position I would put a mech gauge on it & see what my hot oil pressure reading is.

Spyder

Was using 5w-30. New oil is 10w-30. Figured since it was hot here it wouldn't hurt.

Now that you mention it, there was a coating of dirt on the filter from oil leaking when I changed it. I am not sure where the sender is in position to the filter but on this car the filter is on the bottom facing straight up. I suppose it could be that.

I will check in the morning.

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Diaphragm gets week, probably just the sensor.

SouthCaliVR4

Ohh, not a vr4 I get it. Still would reccomend checking the oil pressure, but I agree with iceman that it is likely the sending unit. all the same at idle you can see oil pressure drop below the sending units threshold. I used to have such an issue in my Galant after hard running. at any rate not much oil pressure is needed at Idle even just a few pounds @ idle, while not ideal, will be OK. the automatic draging idle speed down a tad won't help.

up to you though, test it & replace the sender if press ok or just swap the sender & see what you get.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned