The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

CEL Solid, ECU insight please

Brunoboy

So after my last ECU took a crap, I replaced it with one that didnt work, then replaced it with the one i have now, I heard that when you turn the Ignition on, the CEL is supposed to come on for 5 seconds than turn off, is this true? Mine stays on, until I turn the car on, then itll shut off, is something wrong? I noticed the Fuel pump relay didnt get power, and the ISC still doesnt work.
-Shane

dsm10o0

Yeah, it's suppose to turn off after a couple seconds. If it stays on, they you have a cel code.

Do you have a code reader? If not check this and I'll show you the codes.

click

Brunoboy

this is with the car off, it shuts off when the car is turned on. and Hold my dog lol, I can take him in two weeks my mom said,we are currently renovating the house.

prove_it

uhhhhh... what?

Brunoboy

The car has three key turns on the ignition right? ACC , Run, Start. When the car is turned to Run, the CEL comes on, but never shuts off, from what I heard its supposed to shut off after 5 seconds, is this a faulty ecu?
-Shane

brisvr4

It should turn off about 5 seconds after you start the car.

Brunoboy

oh ok, yea then it works, i still dont know why the ISC doesnt work though 0_o.

SouthCaliVR4

Finding more than one ecu with a bad isc driver would not surprise me. isc goes bad takes driver with it, it's one of the reasons so many have blocked off the isc & run without one.

Brunoboy

Isc blockoff does what to the car?

stevep

Quoting brisvr4:

Quoting SouthCaliVR4:
+1 engine has to be running for the light to go out.

I haven't noticed any difference in the ECU code that would change the behavior from what I see regularly, which is the CEL will turn off about five seconds after you turn the ECU on, regardless of engine running or not. DSMLink may be different, I didn't go put my other ECUs in the car to check.

Would you two please go verify that it doesn't turn off if you don't start the engine? Just turn the key on and wait.

Brunoboy

Quoting SouthCaliVR4:
Finding more than one ecu with a bad isc driver would not surprise me. isc goes bad takes driver with it, it's one of the reasons so many have blocked off the isc & run without one.

i bought a blockoff plate...

Brunoboy

Quoting stevep:
Quoting brisvr4:

Quoting SouthCaliVR4:
+1 engine has to be running for the light to go out.

I haven't noticed any difference in the ECU code that would change the behavior from what I see regularly, which is the CEL will turn off about five seconds after you turn the ECU on, regardless of engine running or not. DSMLink may be different, I didn't go put my other ECUs in the car to check.

Would you two please go verify that it doesn't turn off if you don't start the engine? Just turn the key on and wait.

if its not on, it doesnt shut down...

stevep

We seem to be having continuing communications problems. Please reread what I posted.

It's not like I didn't verify it before hand. A stock ECU will turn off the CEL after five seconds regardless of the engine running or not. I can't easily check what DSMLink V3 does but I'll go put my V2 ECU in and double check it....

I just double checked DSMLink V3 and it also turns off the CEL after five seconds regardless of the engine running on not.

What I asked was, for the two people who asserted that the engine needed to be running double check their data since it doesn't match my 10 years of experience working on our ECUs or the almost 20 years sitting in the drivers seat.

SouthCaliVR4

Your right, my bad. I work on a lot of cars every day & many do keep a check engine light on till the engine starts ours however, do not. Yes after checking my own Gvr4 the light does switch off after about five sec engine running or not. Sorry about the misinformation.

Brunoboy

my check engine light stays on when the car isnt on, when i turn it on, it shuts off within 5 secs. does this clarify?

SouthCaliVR4

On mine, Key on engine off, light goes out after five sec. Key on engine running, light goes out after 5 sec. Are you saying yours stays on when the key is off?

Brunoboy

Key on engine off light stays solid and key on engine on 5 sec and it turns off

SouthCaliVR4

Damn if you where a tad closer I'd just head over & hook up my scanner. Do you or anyone you know have access to a scanner you can use to check codes & data. Maybe a logger or use the vfaq flash code deal, I've had a scanner for the last twenty so I'm unsure how this is done or I could do better that saying there's a way to flash the codes by shorting pins on the check connector.

Basically what I'm trying to say is, You're gonna need to communicate with the ecu to find out what is causing it to stay on after the self check period.

Brunoboy

I have a logger with mmcd and ecmlink

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts