The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Locked Diff. Correct me if I am wrong here.

broxma

If the front diff is locked, the car will begin to load up on the wheels in a turn. This would be especially noticeable at low speed say in a parking lot. In reverse the same would happen but due to the gearing and the usual slow speed a car is at in reverse it would be even more pronounced.

Correct me if I am wrong with any of that. Why?

My car is doing exactly that. I bought a freshly rebuilt Stage 2 Shep Trans and I think the front diff has a locker in it. I keep forgetting to spin the wheels when they are both off the ground to be certain. The guy I bought it from said it had a standard open front diff but I believe this may be false. At higher speeds, it isn't a problem. Going forward, taking a turn, I don't even notice it. However pulling out of my garage I have to take a big turn. In reverse, it will actually begin to stop the car. I only park in pull through spots now or a place where I can back up straight and then turn once going forward. Does anyone else have a locked front diff and could verify these same goings on?

/brox

bmod530

I have the same deal with my car. I just noticed it a couple days ago b/c I bought the car disabled and recently got it running. It binds hard while turning in reverse. Everything else seems normal. With one front wheel jacked up you can barley turn the free wheel. With both free they grab hard and does not seem to be open. I wonder....

I'm not sure who if anyone or company built this trans but it looks stock.

Last edited:

H05TYL

Sounds like a locked centre diff to me.

Brianawd

welded center. If you had a welded front diff you would know for sure as turning the wheel is a real pain in the ass

Sounds like a welded center diff to me as well. Sounds like the guy you bought it from either had no idea what was in his car, or just didnt want you to know.... Makes the car a little less streetable, but its probably not a huge deal.

broxma

Well, I asked him directly about the front diff to be honest. So he wasn't lying. I didn't ask him about the center.
I have no desire to autocross the car or run around in parking lots so I won't consider it a big deal.

Thanks people. All I needed to know.

/brox

Barnes

If it still bugs you it is relatively easy to swap with the tranny in the car. Keep that in mind too. In the meantime enjoy your sweet launches.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts