The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Front Steering Rack

Adorsey

Alright, so I will be Depowering my steering rack in the next couple of days. I am up to the task of doing so, but I am inerested in another route.
While seaching for info there was alot of disscusion about the non ps rack from a FWD n/a car, with all the talk about the NLA passanger bracket blah blah.
I would not be too excited about dropping the whole subframe to do so, so in other words...
My question to you guys would be is if a non ps, rack and pinion would bolt up in my front steering rack?

I am hearing some irritating/not so good sounds coming from within/under the car while driving and steering.
Understanding I am being vauge about the noise, It just seems that the inner tie rods are going out the door, and the rack in pinion are the culprit for the noise.(always up for a new option/source for the noise)

In the past few weeks the following has happened with the front end:
-Changed ball joints
-Changed outter tie rod ends
-New front wheel bearings

-I had also blown a ps line within the rack, causing ps fluid to leak all over the dp test pipe area.
-Cut the ps belt

I still have 4ws untill my upcoming project for the car, and will be dropping the rearsub. to do a low mileage
rack/4bolt install.

All parts are avalible through RockAuto /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Any info is appreciated

Thanks, Drew

14u2nV

if you just cut your belt, then you will have noises. Also, if your fluid is low, it will make some nasty sounds. Fix the leak, put a new belt on, and fill the res,, then see if the sounds go away. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
The non p/s rack will fit, and you don't have to drop the crossmember to install it. You will need the blah blah bracket or fabricate something to make it fit.

Adorsey

I guess I was misunderstood while reading up on the subject, iceman69510. I had presumed it was the whole subframe that was talked about. And the bracket was something to do with that.
Thank you for the clarification /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

So my question would be now, is if I depower this rack, would there still be the noise coming from that area?
I guess I will just have to find out!

14u2nv, I will be going for non ps, but when I drop the rack, it will be much easier to fix the line thats rusted through.
I wonder if the rack will stil make noise after the depower is done. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
So I might just order the line, fix it, and test it. Before I depower it, and after the 4ws is deleted.

Thanks for the advice guys

I've run with a "depowered" front rack for over 6 months now (not by choice) and don't have any noises. Not sure what they are talking about...

H05TYL

Same, all the fluid fell out so I just took the belt off, only time it made weird noises was when the belt was still on the pump and it was sucking air.

14u2nV

can do the same if the belt is gone and there is still fluid in the system. It's trying to push against itself, with no pump helping it.

H05TYL

Makes sense I guess.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned