The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Still Pushing coolant after new HG, High Pressure Causes?

moidsm1

Ok, Im so sick of this issue, So far its costed me a few extra weeks of downtime and a hundred extra dollars.

So Here Goes. I completed a Hyundai excel 4G63T swap a month ago. I go for a ride and the top of the radiator explodes! Extremely high pressure! So I figure the head gasket must have been blown from the Junkyard Motor. I go ahead and pull the head, It wasnt too out of spec but had it milled anyway and pressure checked. I found a burnt valve and replaced it with another. Replaced all valvestem seals and reassembled. I never checked the block for flatness tho. I put on a Mitsu Composite HG and torque the head back on. Now I Put everything back together and she fires right up. I did use a new water pump and I pulled out the Thermostat This time and used a Civic Alum Radiator. I let it idle for a while and the rad hoses start ballooning again. Steam blows out of the coolant overflow hose and sounds like a dam Old fashioned Coffee Pot! &*^$%^&!! Its the same damn problem! Now I ask as I have already searched all the DSM 4G63 sites:

What else can cause high coolant pressure/Push Coolant? Bad Turbo Center section? Bad water Pump? Cracked Block? Warped Block?

I have not tried that carbon test for the coolant yet.

I will break out the details so this will be easier to diagnose.

Problem: High Pressure in Coolant system after Head decked and reinstalled New HG

Parts:
4G63t Junkyard Block

Junkyard Head (Decked)
New Waterpump
Civic radiator
New Mitsu HG
No Thermostat

Im so fed up with this, I feel like pulling that crap out and putting in a different 4G63t (On Hand)

Yao

If this is my luck, it would be a bad motor from the junkyard.

moidsm1

More to add.

I have not burped the system yet Properly. I filled it with the engine running and Cap open. Maybe with the way the engine sits I will have to lift the front of the car a little to getall the air out.

I am not running a heater core, I just have the hose Looped back. from water pipe to the T-Stat Housing.

Also because of placementment issues I used a T-Stat water outlet with a cap. The civic radiator has a cap also. So 2 caps in the system The Civic cap hose is plugged and the T-stat hose goes to the resivior. one is a lever type

Also there are some bends in the hoses that may be restricting but not completely cutting off the flow.

I will correct these issues tonight and see what happens.

moidsm1

I call the block a junkyard block because I dont know too much about it. It was pulled from a project Galant.

jepherz

Staff member
Check the compression and leakdown, that way you'll know if it's a headgasket problem. I've had boiling of coolant occur and steam come out of the overflow when i didn't get the system bled right. Usually on these cars, just having a full overflow bottle will suck in the coolant fine after it cools down in my experience.

3rdstrikedsm

Could be a cracked coolant passage in the head or block which is what I would lay my money on.

moidsm1

Supposedly the head was pressure tested before it was Milled. Is it possible that a crack in the head only show when it gets heated up but pass a pressure test at the machine shop? Any Machinists out there?

boostedinaz

Quoting 3rdstrikedsm:
or block

iLLeffeKt vr-4

Did you have the block checked?

moidsm1

I never had the block checked. But how can a bad block cause this? A crack in the cylinder wall somewhere? How else could exhaust gas enter? Has to be a problem with the flatness of the deck right if the cause is the block.

-----------------------------------------

Well Last night I burped the system fixed any kinked hoses, Filled her up fully and started her up. The same thing happens. The engine gets a little warm and coolant starts pouring out of the filler cap. The Steam starts shooting out of the resivior hose and takes a few minutes for the bubbling to stop from the resivior after shutting down. All this happens while idling in the garage! So I cut my losses and start pulling the engine.

U know no one ever answered my original question about the turbo possibly causing this issue. Can a cracked center cartridge water passage cause exhaust gases to enter the cooling system. It seems possible but has anyone ever experienced this? Im already in the process of pulling the motor, But if the problem travels then I will be very upset.

moidsm1

Donnies always tryin to sell me something. Haha Im sick of that drive! Im throwin in my spare engine tonight. Last night I pulled two motors one from my parts GSX and one from the Excel. The GSX engine is going in tonight, I already prepped it and bolted the fwd tranny on. Just gotta try and get home early.

boostedinaz

Quoting moidsm1:
I never had the block checked. But how can a bad block cause this? A crack in the cylinder wall somewhere? How else could exhaust gas enter? Has to be a problem with the flatness of the deck right if the cause is the block.

-----------------------------------------

Well Last night I burped the system fixed any kinked hoses, Filled her up fully and started her up. The same thing happens. The engine gets a little warm and coolant starts pouring out of the filler cap. The Steam starts shooting out of the resivior hose and takes a few minutes for the bubbling to stop from the resivior after shutting down. All this happens while idling in the garage! So I cut my losses and start pulling the engine.

U know no one ever answered my original question about the turbo possibly causing this issue. Can a cracked center cartridge water passage cause exhaust gases to enter the cooling system. It seems possible but has anyone ever experienced this? Im already in the process of pulling the motor, But if the problem travels then I will be very upset.

Yes a cracked block can cause this issue as well as a warped block.

As for the turbo issue I doubt that is it. If you are at idle your back pressure in the exhaust is very little and far less than the pressure in the cooling system.

Last edited:

3rdstrikedsm

Yea a crack between the cyl is what I would look for and as far as a turbo cartridge going bad is almost un heard of esp mhi turbos unless this is an e-bay 16g turbo then I would not rule out this but still a very slim possibility.

rgeier11

Have you tried using a coolant pressure tester on the system?

moidsm1

No I havent trieed a coolant pressure tester, I guess a hard radiator hose was enough to tell me there was pressure. I havent played with the car in two days. Ive been gathering info and rethinking my install. Im going to try and squeeze my Alum DSM radiator in. To do so I have to remove a A?C hose that is in the way. I will post back with results this wknd.

moidsm1

So this weekend I ended up throwing in a DSM Fluidyne radiator and it made a huge difference! Temps are much cooler, but still creep up to about 220 without the Thermostat. All this while idling in my garage. I still cant drive the car due to motor placement issues. I have to rework some of my mounts because the pass side axle is way too close to the firewall.

Im thinking that all that pressure I was experiencing was coolant boiling. Im still playing with the car daily untill I can get it decent enough to drive daily!

Barnes

Holy crap. I just noticed that you don't have a thermostat installed. Put a damn thermostat in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

spoulson

Coolant boiling? What mixture are you running?!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts