The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Drivetrain gear oil recommendations/experiences

4Grim

I am looking for recommendations for what gear oils owners are using for the GVR4/AWD DSM's to get a better idea on what I want to use on my GVR4. I read alot of mixed info on Redline products, Penz Shockproof, etc etc and just want to get some good solid facts and suggestions.

I am not planning to drive the hell out of my GVR4...if anything its going to be a weekend car with spirited driving once in awhile. I have a fully built TRE transmission and replaced my clutch with a Fidanza 4.3 clutct kit and Flywheel and I have a 4 bolt rear LSD diff. I am getting the car ready to finally running again and looking on what gear oils to use for the drivetrain.

Any recommendations, suggestions, facts, experiences, etc etc would be greatly appreciated and could be helpful for future members that may want to inquire about the same question I am haveing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I had been running pennzoil synchromesh in the trans and mobil 1 75w90 in the rear diff and transfer case for about 4 years. They worked fine. The tranny was a little clunky when cold, but shifted great when warmed up.

I just switched all my drivetrain to redline. I was a little leary of running it in the trans because I had used the MTL/MT-90 mix and the trans shifted terrible. Now I'm running only MTL in the trans and heavy shockproof in the rear and transfer case.

The trans is still a bit clunky when cold, but it shifts like butter when warmed up. I was real pleased with the difference. I also notice there's less gear noise throughout the drivetrain. My 1st and 4th gear still whine pretty good, but it's not nearly as loud. My rear end would also whine at freeway speeds with just the right amount of throttle applied. That's gone now.

I'm real happy and plan on using redline from now on.

Yao

2nd on Mobil-1 gear lub. I use GM Synchro mesh in the trans with my newly built tranny 30k ago and it's been doing flawless shifts.

NickDromez

im using mobil1 75-90 in transfer case, tranny, and rear diff.

I just went to shock proof in rear and t case. Mix of one bottle mtl and topped it off with mt-90 in the trans. Shifts a lot smoother now and seems to have quieted the drive train noise a bit. Used this mix in my old 1g for 2 years with out a problem. I'm a big believer in bg.

Street Surgeon

Heavyweight shockproof for the transfer case and rear diff, and though I've used redline shockproof light and heavyweight in the shep transmissions I have, I'll probably use THIS next time around in the trans.

Last edited:

14u2nV

Any of you use Royal Purple? I was thinking of going all RP on my galant, trans/trans case/rear/oil/ps fluid, etc.

ClICky

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned