The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Why does my car eat turbos for lunch?

So long story short i have burned up quite a few turbos in the recent past. One was a Mitsubishi 16g, and another was a Mitsubishi 14b (No ebay crap). After the first one went i checked through everything, but it looked fine. My 14b is now smoking so now im second guessing my inspection. I checked:

1) my oil feed line coming straight from the oil pump was flowing oil fine.
2) oil return line was fine and not leaking
3) coolant lines were flowing well
4) lined up the banjo bolts during assembly
5) No exhaust leaks

My water temp has never been above 190, so im doubting its related to overheating. Im wondering if there is something i missed. What could be causing this? My best guess is too much oil pressure to the turbo, but is that even possible? I will hit a solid 80 PSI accelerating onto the highway, and the feed line comes straight from the oil pump. Is that too high to be feeding straight to the turbo?

Any and all ideas are appreciated. Thanks

ktmrider

Do you have the BS delete done? If so it can cause a significant increase in oil pressure and "theoretically" cause blowby of the turbo oil seals.

Where are you measuring the 80psi and at what enigne temp? 80psi when warm could equal 100+psi cold.

I did quite a bit of research on this a few years back. Measured 125psi at the OFH one morning cold using an external gauge. I modified the oil pressure relief valve located in the OFH, brought the pressure down considerably. Way more about this potential issue on Tooners.

I say potential cuz the opinions varied greatly. Cartridge style turbos ( non ball bearing ) don't mind higher oil pressure however the general consensus was 100psi is pushing the limit of the seals.

Brunoboy

When I bought my car, I had a Ebay 16g blow on me, a MHI big16g, 2 14bs (one may I add shot the wheel out of the o2 housing) currently about to put my new/used s16g in. So all in all I am on my 5th turbo in 14k miles. amd two motors and three ecu's

kerry92gvr4

i just went through a pte 50 trim because it was feed off the oil filter housing. i have done some research and found out that there are only a few turbos that would realy need to be ran off the ofh. just get another turbo and run it with stock feed line from the head. mitsu knew what they were doing when they put it all together and thats the best place to feed oil from for almost all turbos

Barnes

Double check to make sure your oil return pipe is not clogged.

Quoting ktmrider:
Do you have the BS delete done? If so it can cause a significant increase in oil pressure and "theoretically" cause blowby of the turbo oil seals.

Where are you measuring the 80psi and at what enigne temp? 80psi when warm could equal 100+psi cold.

I did quite a bit of research on this a few years back. Measured 125psi at the OFH one morning cold using an external gauge. I modified the oil pressure relief valve located in the OFH, brought the pressure down considerably. Way more about this potential issue on Tooners.

I say potential cuz the opinions varied greatly. Cartridge style turbos ( non ball bearing ) don't mind higher oil pressure however the general consensus was 100psi is pushing the limit of the seals.

Yes, i do have a BS delete done. That oil pressure is at full operating temp and it is with an autometer gauge that comes directly from the oil pump. Do you have a link to the other information cause im starting to think that might be my problem.

Quoting brunoboy:
When I bought my car, I had a Ebay 16g blow on me, a MHI big16g, 2 14bs (one may I add shot the wheel out of the o2 housing) currently about to put my new/used s16g in. So all in all I am on my 5th turbo in 14k miles. amd two motors and three ecu's

geez dude, sounds like a lot of money and even more work.... I would like to avoid getting to where you are.

Quoting kerry92gvr4:
i just went through a pte 50 trim because it was feed off the oil filter housing. i have done some research and found out that there are only a few turbos that would realy need to be ran off the ofh. just get another turbo and run it with stock feed line from the head. mitsu knew what they were doing when they put it all together and thats the best place to feed oil from for almost all turbos

Im getting a Mitsu 16g so i might just put the feed back to the head and decrease the boost to see how it does.

Quoting BarnesMobile:
Double check to make sure your oil return pipe is not clogged.

Ill be replacing the turbo so ill check that out.

How crucial is it that those banjo bolts line up with the lines during install? I always line them up, but i have heard that you do not have to.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

jepherz

Staff member
They aren't supposed to line up, they are supposed to be at the correct torque instead. They are built so lining up the holes with the lines shouldn't matter.

Okay, thanks. I guess i will not worry about that in the future. Hopefully I will be replacing the turbo this weekend so if i find anything that looks like it may be causing this ill post it up, but my plan is to just switch the feed line to the head for now.

thecman02

This is just my opinion take it for what its worth, feed it from the head. The oil filter housing is going to be way to high, especially with a balance shaft delete kit.

I think that is the current plan. I will only be running a 16g at maybe 15-16 lbs for now so i dont think im going to starve it of oil......

HHIVR4

Put the feed back to stock configuration.You are supposed to port the relief valve passage on the oil filter housing if you eliminate the balance shafts to avoid having the oil pressure too high.

Read this..

Good information. Thanks. The balance shafts were deleted when i got the car, and i built the motor and did not port the OFH.... i dont know if the old one was or not, but seems like I have found the problem. Didnt know the BS reduced oil pressure that much /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Where are you coming from off of your oil filter housing? There are two ports to come off of, one is filtered oil and the other is not. I'm guessing that you are feeding your turbo unfiltered oil.

Take a picture of where the oil feed line connects to the oil filter housing and post it up.

I'm guessing that's where your problem lies.

BoostedAWD91

i always use the head for a oil feed unless the turbo manufacturer states to run from the filter housing. I think the filter housing might have to much pressure for alot of turbos,

524of1000

Quoting 92Galant926:
Why does my car eat turbos for lunch?

Because they're crunchy and often taste good with Ketchup. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif But seriously, +1 on running oil feed from stock point on the head. It's prolly getting too much oil pressure.

Quoting BOOSTIN HARD:
Check out this link, it will get you set straight.

click

I am using the hole in the housing that is right below the one in the pictures on that website...... Cant tell if thats filtered or not from their diagrams.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned