The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

transmission tranx shaft play?

MellowVR4

I recently removed my transfer case because im trying to hunt down this noise/ vibration, it will only do it under deceleration but now it does it all the time. i have changed the following thinking these can potentionaly be my problem. My driveshaft, driveshaft center support bearings, u joint, rear subframe bushings, and put a thick rubber bushing in between the exhaust and the diff thinking maybe my exhaust was hitting the diff that will cause that noise. Nothing, its still doing it, took my transfercase off and their was like three tee spoons of gear oil in it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif. Now would that cause the noise that ive been hearing? also when i took my transfercase off the shaft on the transmission wheir the tranx bolts up too had some in out play would this cause it? im replacing my transfercase soon see how that goes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif. let me know with any advice that can help me with my problem please, thnx.

H05TYL

How much in-out play did the shaft have? It's possibly missing the ball bearing under the vcu that holds the shaft in place.

MellowVR4

ill say about 1/4 of an inch in and out. maybe less

If your missing the ball, you could give that shaft a good yank and it would pop out. You should have less than 1/16 movement in and out.

Unfortunately, I still don't think that would cause a vibration problem. You would lose allot of oil out of the transmission though, if that shaft slides out to much.

I'm going to agree in that it is probably your t-case.

To fix your shaft, your will have to drain your transmission oil

Remove your outer case cover

Remove the snap ring that holds out your viscous coupler

Use heel bars to pry off the viscous coupler off of your center diff hat splines

As the viscous coupler is coming off, there will be two holes in your center diff hat splines, there will be a ball in one of these two holes and the steel ball is a little bit bigger than a BB.

Write back and let us know what you find.

That should get you on the right track.

Last edited by a moderator:

If you have any questions, shoot me a PM and I will give you my number and I can walk you through it over the phone.

3rdstrikedsm

What clutch set up are you running? Unsprung solid disk?

MellowVR4

Quoting BOOSTIN HARD:
If you have any questions, shoot me a PM and I will give you my number and I can walk you through it over the phone.

thanks i will, im going to try changing my transfercase and see what happens.

MellowVR4

Quoting 3rdstrikedsm:
What clutch set up are you running? Unsprung solid disk?

im running a stage II zooom clutch kit. it is a 6 puck and it does have springs.

3rdstrikedsm

Well there goes my theroy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Usally if you hava a solid clutch disk the harmonics will cause decel noise but this does not sound like the case here.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned