The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Head

LordAthey

Just picked up 1969 last weekend had a blown head gasket. I got her all tore apart put new throttle body gaskets and intake manifold gasket on it. Also cleaned the top of the pistons and the bottom of the valves. I was wondering when i get the head put back on will the engine smoke. My buddy told me that if i didn't take the head to a machine shop it would still be smoke coming out of the exhaust. I think he is wrong, but would like some input.

Thanks,

Scott

Last edited:

Use a straight edge and check it out. If it's anything over .005 out of straight, I'd take it in for a milling. You can get away with a composite gasket if the head is under .006 warped.

AWDnot2

What ^ said. If it was not smoking before and if the head is straight, there's no reason why it should be smoking now. Now if it was smoking before, it will most likely still smoke.

Last edited:

LordAthey

well it was smoking before, but on the head gasket you could see where the water was leaking into the piston

You def should be getting the head resurfaced. On a side note, I have a couple heads that have been rebuilt in my shop right now.

LordAthey

Ok because my friend overheated this vr4 about 8 times real bad when i was with him. I mean the needle was in the red and when we pulled his head and replaced the gasket we just put the head back on and it didn't leak. The only reason was out of a job and had no money to get the head redone.

LordAthey

well what happened was the heater hose came off and i noticed it was running hot and shut it off. So to answer your question yes it was but it was shut off before it got too hot.

If the engine had been overheated multiple times chances are your head is pretty warped.

Terry Posten

You cleaned the top of the pistons?

That can cause a lot of wall scratches because all that crap gets stuck down in the ring area and you can't clean it.

But at the very least, have the head inspected by a reputable shop that knows something about the 4G63.

curtis

Mill it have a valve job done and new seals, its off.... better to do it now than have to do it again.

89Mirageman

^Exactly right, this is not a job you will want to do twice.

I have a couple re built heads on my shelf if you're interested. I'll let one go for pretty cheap.

LordAthey

Thanks guys my friend took it to school and did everything for free. We got the new seals and stuff in last night and hopefuly tonight get the head back in the car. Sorry Jonvr4 I would have bought one of your heads, but I'm just broke right now cause my only means of transportion blew up. So I'm on a mission to have this running by saturday. I might buy a head from you for a later build I'm going to do. I'm just trying to leave 1969 as stock as possible for now.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts