The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Turbo drain line - sealing washers (pictures)

bazeng

Hi guys.

I remember getting a part number from this board for washers to seal the drain line.
Anyway, I purchased a bunch of these and have used them with limited success.

So a while ago, a friend who works for MITSU gave me some new washers.
I'm not sure if you guys have used these before but they look like they will work more effectively.

Pics will describe the differences.
Part numbers are also displayed.

You will notice that the dark washers are the newer ones. They have an built in oring. These should work better imo. I haven't used them as yet but will give it a shot shortly.

Opinions?

SleepinGVR4

They look bigger than the old ones. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif The best success I have with the old style is not to reuse them a bunch of times.

H05TYL

I'm 70% sure my leak is from the flex section of the drain line rather than the flange/bolts, gonna replace it with a section of hose and cross my fingers.

Terry Posten

Very cool, let us know how that works.

I just got tired of messing around with leaking flanges and flex sections.

I went to Autozone and bought a NA 4G63 pan for $60, got a steel weld on -10 fitting and made my own oil drain port.

No more leaks.

curtis

The aluminum and copper washers work harden with use... you can heat them with a torch then can be reannealed by cooling slowly in air or quickly by quenching in water. Aluminum has a much lower melt temp than copper so be careful. The copper you can cook till cherry red and dunked and be ready to do work again. As for the o-ring those come from aviation industry and kick ass but the surface have to be dead clean and have an area for the oring to go into you can just use flat metal to flat metal and crush and expect to seal perfectly every time. If you want to impress your friends do that to an aluminum pan using a large space heater and then roll it up in a twist after you roll it up it work hardens again and can't be unrolled unless its reannealed .

Wizardawd

Quote:
If you want to impress your friends do that to an aluminum pan using a large space heater and then roll it up in a twist after you roll it up it work hardens again and can't be unrolled unless its reannealed.

^^Curtis is quite the party host I take it?

Wiz

Last edited:

bazeng

I just checked the AMG washers (alloy) and they are leaking due to the excessive crush. The nut bolt caught the washer and has broken it during the torque up.

I'll give these new washers a go and see if it stops the leak

bazeng

Pictures of the problem.

I'm not sure if it was due to the bolt not having a washer itself which caused the sealing washer to catch and grab which caused the distortion.

Pictures of the new washers installed. Not a sign of damage on install.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned