The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

3.0 v6 sohc 6g72

ercp98

Hi,
This is an engine of a 1989 raider. It has over heated because the thermostat got stuck in the closed position.
My question is, besides the probable busted HG, where else or how else can the coolant ALL end up in the oil pan.
My oil still looks like oil but it has doubled in quantity and I have lost all my coolant. Thanks for any input.

curtis

My buddy had a mustang once that would push coolant to the pan but only under full throttle hard runs. We replaced the gaskets 3 times before we found that he had a crack in one of the cylinder walls. It ran in a helix shape and only found it when we magnafluxed it and presureized the coolant to 45psi. I guess it took heat and pressure to open up.

Best thing to do is remove a small coolant line and cap it bolt works good of this and hook a 4 or 5 foot long rubber hose to the barb fitting now hook that hose to a good air regulator from lowes /home depot that has a low psi gauge on it, then hook up the air hose and slowly turn up the pressure till its about a half a pound from where the radiator cap opens up. Then open the throttle body and listen if nothing and pray for nothing then go to the oil cap. It could be a cracked block of a cracked head. After I ported the head on my car I kept losing about a pint of coolant a day but under hard boost would loose more and would see steam blowing out the tail pipe. Ended up getting to thin on the #1 port and and under boost would push and create a cheap water injection. Got it fixed but was a day of hell welding and peening it in. I really beat its just a popped head gasket. With the amount of work to change them I would probably see if I could find a used dohc motor and swap it in a 3000vr4 powered raider would be badass. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ercp98

Thanks Curtis, I will try that before opening up the engine. I know this engine is prone to certain things, like valve seals and warped/cracked heads. So, I am really hoping that it is just the head or HG. I like your DOHC idea or even the 4g63 turbo engine, but not in the budget or plans as of yet. I was just hoping to get this thing running so I can get the vr4 in the garage for maintenance and upgrades, JSB style. But the way it looks this truck will JSB first before the vr4. Oh well.
One thing I noticed though, when the engine has cooled off and I take off the radiator cap I heard gurgling or draining sound. I think this is the coolant draining to the lowest part of the engine, into the pan. My question is, does this mean that the cooling system still held pressure? Does this narrow things to look for?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts