The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Tps?

I've searched the forum and couldn't find a awnser. So I had my throttle body rebuilt by throttlebodys.com. When they where rebuilding my throttle body they sent me a email saying my tps was on backwards and so I told them to put it on the right way. Well when I got my throttle body back yesterday I went to install it and found the reason the other owner had it on backwards is cause the forrester intake manifold. The tps sits too close to the manifold to where you can't put the clip on. So I turned it 180 degrees and installed it yesterday and now the car is acting funny. When your driving and come to a stop the rpms will stay up. When the car is idling and you rev it the rpms will not come down. Is there anyway to fixs this? I plan on going with dsmlink and I know you can set the tps with it so will that solve my problem? Any help would be great and thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

GVR4_1057

Is the TPS holding the throttle plate open?Check VFAQ.com. It should tell you how to set up the TPS.

Here is the link. Look under intake. VFAQ

stevep

The VFAQ procedure is wrong when it comes to setting the TPS. You have to measure the actual voltage or measure the TPS total resistance, the actual +5v sensor voltage and do the math to compute the correct resistances for a voltage divider using your values.

dmj

I set my accoding to the VFAQ recently due to a throttle body rebuild an now the car runs pig rich when i come off the throttle the car almost shuts off, in less than 100 miles since an oil change my oil is contaminated it smells like gas. Logger reads tps 17.1% and injectors at 2.3ms at idle.I am all for some one explaining the correct way to set the TPS as it will help a lot of people.

When throttlebodys.com set my tps he set it according to vfaq.com. And then sent me a email saying they he has some people say that it's the wrong way to set it. So I'm not sure If it's set right or not. Then I had to turn it 180 degrees so I'm not sure if that messed it up also.

Last edited by a moderator:

broxma

I have mine set 180 out so it faces down and towards the intake. Haven't had any problem with it. Other than the slight adjustment it has, it can really only go on one way, regardless of which direction it faces. And should either way have exactly the same reading? It only bolts down with a very small margin of error. I'm not sure I am following how it could be put on wrong, adjustment aside.

/brox

dmj

Just adjusted my tps according to the logger I am now 9.7% at idle .no more black smoke

I have no idea how to set my tps. I just don't get it . Anybody live close to st.louis want to make some extra coin and come over and set it for me.

ktmrider

Actually the Haynes manual has a good/correct procedure for setting the TPS. As mentioned the VFAQ shows how to test it, not set it.
Using a logger is WAY, WAY the best method. Set to 10% and forget it.
If no logger handy you have to tap into the wires and monitor while the key is On. Set the voltage between 0.45 to 0.55 on your DVM. Since it uses 0-5v signal sweep 0.50v is 10% of 5v, thus the 10% target on the logger function.

That is correct. The proper calibration at idle is 9-11%, which would be 0.45 to 0.55 volts. Do NOT try to use the AFC % to set it, but you can use the AFC's sensor check function to read the actual voltage. At WOT you want to see ~0.95 volts or so. It will usually never read the full 100% or 5.0 volts, due to wiring losses.

Ok I understand where to set it at. Now how do you set it? I have a logger coming tomorrow with mmcd on there can I can set it with that and how hard is it to do?

stevep

It should be pretty obvious how to adjust it once you look at the TPS. The hard part is reaching the lower screw with the fuel line/rail in the way.

Once you have MMCd running to log TPS and adjust turn the TPS until you get 10% on the logger.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned