The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

problems with rear sub frame on my 1991 galant vr4

i have a severe problem,with my rear subframe on my galant vr4 1847/2000.

The problem is that my car has oxidation all over the bottom,on the rear driver side the rear subframe got
cut from the end of the subframe to one of the parts where it bolts and it has a bushing,my question is,is
it possible to swap one from an eagle talon/eclipse? and if it is,witch year can i swap it in??

curtis

Find a southern 1st gen DSM with the 4 bolt lsd and your good. You'll be losing a aws set up but gaining a 4 bolt lsd and with that much rsut the lines for the 4ws is probably on the way out anyway. Contact Boostx and see if he still have poly bushings for the subframe and brace as well, might as well while your in there.

thanks,for your help,but can i buy a eagle talon or mitsubishi eclipse subframe,and use my rear galant diff?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I stand corrected.

Last edited:

vapid

But,IIRC, you're going to have to remove the AWS pump, it won't fit w/ the DSM rear subframe.
Do what Curtis said, get the subframe w/ 4 bolt diff, and plug your AWS lines.

i actually want to remove 4ws,it does not work anyway so its cool,so i will have to start looking for a 90-94 4wd talon/eclipse rear sub frame....

thanks for your input...!!

Romanova

FYI... you can no longer buy a new OEM subframe from Mitsu... I got the last one in North America awhile back.

broxma

It doesn't fit with the 4WS due to the steering gear pump if I recall but I may be wrong. The rear sub is different no matter what due to accommodation for the rack. Best bet, ditch the 4WS, get a 1G rear sub, 4 bolt LSd, 4bolt axles with 4 bolt cups, 1G front steering rack to eliminate the headache. A weekends worth of work tops. Minimum, rear sub, rear dif, plug the factory steering rack lines.

/brox

thanks for the information /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

well one more question,i will actually look in junkyards,for the rear subframe,the only thing is can i just
install the rear subframe with my galant diff and axles and eliminate my 4ws?

i just want to fix it so i can drive it to work,my other car is a gas hog explorer...lol!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Boostdtalon

Quoting xtcvr4:
i actually want to remove 4ws,it does not work anyway so its cool,so i will have to start looking for a 90-94 4wd talon/eclipse rear sub frame....

thanks for your input...!!

ecology and all those junk yards in chula vista will be your heaven. I saw several when I lived in SD an would go part hunting.

o yeah fo sho!!...chula vista junk yards must have a 1st gen eclipse/talon!...

i will go hunting tomorrow for the sub frame...

if i see some goodies i will let u know..

vapid

Quoting Romanova:
FYI... you can no longer buy a new OEM subframe from Mitsu... I got the last one in North America awhile back.

Thats funny. I bought mine about a year or so ago. I can't remember if they said it was the last or second to last.

broxma

Yeah everything should bolt up although the steering pump is mounted to the top of the diff and may cause some interference with the 1G subframe. I cannot verify this since I replaced both the diff and the subframe at the same time. The GVR4 diff has the same bolt pattern, I'm just not too sure about that pump.

/brox

The only difference between the two rear subframes is a small tab of metal welded on that has a few holes in it so the rear pump can bolt on.

well my uncle end up welding my rear subframe,it looks good,i was surprised with the job my uncle did! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

drives great.!!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned